Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
System and Network Engineer
Posting Number 00496
The Network and Systems Engineer will ensure the operation of University systems including routers, switches, and servers and provide technical aid to users in regards to the use of network, server and system applications
Strategy & Planning:
- Collaborate with department leaders to assess near and long term system and network capacity needs.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system and network operations, network mapping, processes, and service records.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for system and network administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
- Supports network infrastructure (e.g. routers, switches, access points, firewalls) for the purpose of ensuring effective and efficient networking systems.
- Supports server systems (e.g., servers (file, print, application, WEB, database, proxy, etc.), operating systems, server backup, routine maintenance programs, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring efficient operations.
- Participates in network and system design.
- Supports VOIP and other telecommunication systems.
- Install, connect and support network cable systems.
- Participates in the resolution of help desk requests.
- Recommends equipment, supplies and materials for the purpose of acquiring required items and completing jobs efficiently.
- Researches trends, products, equipment, tests, etc. for the purpose of recommending procedures and/or purchases.
- Responds to emergency situations as needed for the purpose of resolving immediate concerns.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of sources (e.g., staff, administrators, school site personnel, outside vendors and service providers, etc.) for the purpose of providing technical assistance and support.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Participates in on call after-hours support of network and system operations.
- Solid knowledge of information security principles and practices.
- Experience with software and security architectures.
- Evaluate and develop approach to solutions.
- Proactively assesses potential items of risk and opportunities of vulnerability in the network.
- Experience with security practices of Intranet and Extranet.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- On call on weekends and nights.
- Associate’s degree in computer science, information technology, or closely related field from an accredited institution.
- CCNA R/S (CCNP R/S preferred) OR MCSA (MCSE preferred) OR VCP
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience administering complex networks in either the capacity of a Network Administrator, System Engineer (or similar position).
- Experience supporting technical environments of 500 or more users.
- Prior working experience supporting academic technical environments preferred.
- Proficiency in the following networking infrastructure: TCP/IP, OSI, SSL, VPN, routing (OSPF, EIGRP) and switching protocols.
- Hands on experience configuring Cisco Systems and or HP switches/routers CLi.
- Experience with Aruba or other enterprise wireless technologies.
- Experience administrating HP, DELL or Cisco Servers (blade preferred).
- Experience supporting data center operations (HVAC, electrical, lights out, etc.)
- Solid understanding of infrastructure services such as Active Directory, LDAP, DNS, DHCP, IIS and SMTP.
- Experience supporting one or more of the following email systems Exchange 2007, 2010, 2013 and Office 365.
- Experience in administering virtualized environment (MS HyperV or Vmware).
- Some experience with enterprise SANs (EMC or HP preferred).
- Some experience Citrix & Citrix Netscaler
- Knowledge of AWS or Azure Cloud
- Experience with Linux (Ubuntu, RedHat or Debian) within an enterprise environment preferred
- Experience with enterprise phone systems such as Mitel
- Skilled with collaborating and maintaining good working relationships and interacting with peers and resources in other departments.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to follow complex technical instructions.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions.
- Self-starter and detail oriented.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3880
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer