Assistant Professor in Management Information Systems - (FAC001887) Assistant Professor in Management Information Systems Department Name:D0015 Finance & Mgmt Info SystemsDescription
The Department of Finance and Management Information Systems (FNIS) of the Marilyn Davies College of Business (MDCOB), at the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) invites applicants for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor position in Management Information Systems to begin in August 2022. The MDCOB is accredited by AACSB and enrolls 2,500+ undergraduate and more than 1,000 graduate students. The department offers majors and minors in Management Information Systems as well as Finance, and a minor in Economics.
While being the second largest university in Houston, the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) provides life-changing educational access and opportunities to individuals living in one of the most diverse metropolitan areas in Texas. UHD is a federally-designated Hispanic-Serving Institution and a Minority-Serving Institution. The ideal candidate should be student-centered, utilizing pedagogical approaches that emphasize practical application. The ideal candidate is expected to demonstrate a commitment to academic research in their discipline and a willingness to work with others in promoting the advancement of the university including serving on department, college, and university-wide committees as well as to the profession and the community.
Required Attachments by Candidate:
In a first stage, interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae and a letter of application specifically addressing why they are a good fit for the position, the Marilyn Davies College of Business, and UHD. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit unofficial copy of their doctoral program transcript along with their curriculum vitae and a letter of application. Applicants selected to move to the second stage of the process will be requested to submit evidence of teaching effectiveness, samples of scholarship, and a list of references. Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- Applicants for the Assistant Professor position should have a terminal degree in Management Information Systems or related field from an AACSB accredited college or should be working towards one having reached the all-but-dissertation (ABD) status. For appointment, the doctorate must be completed by the date of appointment in Fall 2022.
- Demonstrated quality teaching at the college level that recognizes and adopts best practices in pedagogy and embraces a desire to serve the needs of a diverse and upwardly mobile student body.
- Demonstrated research ability commensurate with the timeline of obtaining a terminal degree is needed. In other words, while refereed national level conference proceedings will be appropriate for applicants with the ABD status, multiple peer-reviewed journal articles in respected publications are expected from applicants more experienced since obtaining their terminal degree.
- Professional business experience that incorporates the use of technology applications.
- Experience in teaching a variety of Information Systems courses including Programming, Mobile and Web application development, Computer Networking and Data Communications, Cybersecurity, Business Analytics, and other information systems core and elective courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Given the needs of MDCOB students, successful candidates must be willing to teach a variety of days, times, and modalities (i.e., face-to-face, online, and hybrid formats). Faculty are expected to teach courses offered at the primary campus located in downtown Houston, as well off-campus locations located in suburban Houston.
- Evidence of taking initiative or leadership in developing new innovative programs meeting the needs of employers.
- Active research agenda that meets the expectations of AACSB standards for universities that fall in the Carnegie classification of Master's Colleges & Universities: Larger Programs.
- Higher level and long-term industry experience in Information Systems.
- Experience of active role in developing and maintaining student engagement via student organizations or other means.
- Experience serving on department, college, and university-wide committees as well as other service to the profession and the community.
- Candidates with expertise in cybersecurity are encouraged to apply.
For additional information and to apply, please visit our site.
The University of Houston-Downtown is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of any of its programs and activities, as specified by all applicable laws and regulations. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.