Assistant Director, Data Center Engineer
$85,000 – $90,000 • yearly
Salem State University
The Data Center Engineer will be responsible for and apply expert level knowledge in the areas for provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and related infrastructure. This role recommends and implements system enhancements that will improve the performance and reliability of the system including installing, upgrading/patching, monitoring, problem resolution, and configuration. Ensures systems are operated, maintained, and disposed of in accordance with internal security policies and best practices.
Salem State University values, celebrates and appreciates diversity in all its forms and endeavors to create a space that reflects the campus community population which it serves. Our students come to Salem State University from 38 states and 48 countries and reflect the demographics of the greater Boston community in which we live. We are passionate about providing an experience for them and our fellow staff and faculty, where everyone can feel supported while they explore, learn, and celebrate their identities, similarities, and differences. We welcome you to come celebrate with us and become a member of our community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(E) - Essential function
- (E) Manage and administer university Data Center (DC) and centralized infrastructure.
(E) Administration of Virtualized infrastructure (VMware on premise and Azure Cloud).
(E) Administration of Azure components (AD, Single Sign-On, Multi-Factor Authentication).
(E) Administration of storage and backup infrastructure.
- (E) Administration of Nutanix environment includes updating software components, troubleshoot outages, and perform maintenance when necessary.
- (E) Administration of Microsoft Active Directory and DNS.
Maintains and upgrades operating systems to the current supported level.
- Share responsibility in troubleshooting issues related to VoIP, Microsoft Teams, and AudioCodes.
- Maintains personal knowledge and professional expertise consistent with data center trends.
Respond to and resolve service desk tickets in a timely manner, keeping in line with SLA.
Work collaboratively with other IT staff and departments to research and develop hardware and software strategies, procedures, and documentation to improve the efficiency and productivity of the university
- Bachelor's degree in computer science with five years of relevant experience; or at least seven years of full time professional relevant experience
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft operating systems and services including Active Directory, GPO, AD DNS, WSUS, and Printing
- At least 3 years of experience in Linux and/or Microsoft Windows operating systems, and ability to troubleshoot in both
- At least 3 years of experience in VMware vCenter and ESXi
- At least 3 years of experience in Microsoft Active Directory and DNS
- Demonstrate ability to work as a part of an implementation team as well as in an individual capacity on technical projects
- Experience with automation tools and scripting languages (ex. Bash, VBScript, and PowerShell)
Knowledge of Internet applications and protocols, and network equipment configuration
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Possess a positive attitude toward sharing expertise and assisting others to learn
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Teams and AudioCodes
- Working knowledge of Nutanix hardware
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Azure
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft Certification (MCSE)
- Network+ Certification
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email email@example.com.
Potential for Permanent Hybrid/Remote Work: ITS is part of a project to move some administrative functions to a permanent remote/hybrid work model, including this position. The permanent remote/hybrid work model project is currently in Phase One. During this phase detailed plans and policies will be developed, including the identification and provision of shared, reservable space for the occasional on-campus work that members of department, including this position, may need to do. Applicants should be aware the position will be expected to be remote and, in the office, periodically and during times of demand. The university reserves the right to set the conditions and location of the employment, including changing to a more traditional in-house work model if that is necessary to effectively meet the mission of the university and responsibilities of this position.
Position related activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds and carry 40 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online at https://careers-salemstate.icims.com and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
This position is not eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time and additional applications will not be accepted.