Campus Safety Officer
Working in partnership with the campus community, the Campus Safety Officer is responsible for helping to create a welcoming, safe and inclusive living, learning and working environment - serving as a supportive resource for community members in need of services. Grounded in a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, the Officer is responsible for positively impacting campus through building community and relationships, promoting accountability, reinforcing community standards and College policies/procedures as well as maintaining the safety and security of the campus for students, faculty, staff and guests/visitors. Bennington's Campus Safety approach is one of harm and risk-reduction, and is focused on finding the learning moments possible in any given interaction and honoring student growth and development. This approach is applied to all aspects of student engagement including all policy enforcement and general service requests.
Bennington serves a diverse student population - inclusive of ethnically/racially minoritized individuals, international and global constituents, the LGBTQA community, and various social classes, among other identities. Our staff and faculty also reflect diverse backgrounds and identities. All employees are expected to be respectful and responsive to these differences in the service of building community that promotes student and employee success. Each individual (faculty, staff and students) will be accountable for upholding these values. The College's approach to pluralism and inclusivity—both as fields of inquiry and practice—is to prioritize flexible thought, and to invite the examination of access, value, power, and privilege through its institutional policies and areas of study. We encourage applicants from diverse realms of interest, backgrounds, experience, and accomplishment to apply.
The schedule for this full-time (40 hours/week) position is: Sunday, Monday and Tuesday from 12:00 am to 8:00 am and Friday, Saturday from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am; shift differential eligible.
• Serve as a supportive resource to students, faculty, staff and guests of the College - engage in first level response to incidents and service requests to help support the well-being of all those being served.Partner with Student Life to build community through interactions with students beyond policy enforcement.
• Maintain the safety and security of campus for all constituents. Use appropriate judgment to ensure adherence to student community standards and College policies and procedures while promoting a positive, cooperative, and congenial atmosphere. Provide support while maintaining a calm demeanor, high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
• Provide timely response to service calls including, but not limited to, offering directions, transportation or escort assistance, building and vehicle lock-outs, vehicle assistance and building access. Respond to routine telephone inquiries and serve as dispatch/coordinator when needed. Protect College property from crime, fire, vandalism and accidents. Perform safety patrols in vehicle and on foot. Secure buildings and property; report maintenance issues.
• Coordinate/partner with Student Life, Psychological Services and Health Services to manage emergency situations involving student safety, health and wellbeing.
• Respond to emergency incidents/situations and where needed, provide basic first aid and act as First Responder during emergencies. Coordinate and serve as the liaison between the College and outside agencies such as law enforcement, fire, or EMS. Immediately notify the Assistant Director or Director of Campus Safety of any call to outside agency; decision to engage outside agency is determined by the supervisor on duty (or officer, if no supervisor on duty).
• Enforce safety, traffic, and parking regulations; assist with pedestrian and vehicle traffic flow as needed.
• Conduct timely and complete case investigations. Compile factual incident reports; attend student judicial meetings as required.
• As a designated essential employee, must be able to remain on duty beyond regular shift when circumstances warrant coverage.
• High school graduate or equivalent required; Bachelor's degree in education, social sciences or related field preferred. Campus safety and/or educational experience preferred,
• Candidates should possess demonstrated experience positively affecting others in a relatable community-based setting, with an emphasis on providing safe and supportive services in stressful situations, including mental health emergencies, with a diverse student, faculty, staff, guest population.
• Candidates must be comfortable with and/or have experience working with students (or other populations) from diverse ethnic/racial backgrounds.
• Experience in recognizing emergency/high stress situations and effectively de-escalating/resolving highly desired. Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills required. Must be able to remain calm during stressful situations. Ability to treat sensitive/confidential information with discretion and tact.
• Must possess a collaborative and collegial style with the ability to maintain balance, consistency and flexibility in decision making.Must be effective and work well in a collaborative environment.
• Strong problem solving, critical and analytical thinking, good judgment with creative resolutions for positive outcomes.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Able to recognize, acknowledge, respect and effectively interact with people of different ages and cultures - and individuals at all levels of the organization; able to establish positive relationships; gain trust and respect of others.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to set priorities and multi-task in a fast-paced setting required.
• Must have a high attention to detail and be able to work independently with limited supervision.
• Valid driver's license is required. Successful completion of a background/DMV check required. Must possess current certifications in First Aid and Adult CPR with AED.
• Computer proficiency in Google (Gmail, Google Suite) required. Ability to adapt to and use changing technology.
For full application instructions and position description, visit: https://bennington.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0u4qj/
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency