California State University, Long Beach
Job No: 524081
Work Type: Staff
Location: Long Beach
Categories: Unit 6 - Teamsters Local 2010, Temporary, Full Time, Trades
Under general supervision, the Supervising Plumber works with and is in charge of a small group or crew of skilled Plumbers and semi-skilled assistants involved in completing the work assigned to the plumbing shop. The Supervising Plumber performs all tasks generally done by a Plumber but has additional responsibilities of providing supervising work direction to several journey-level crafts workers and semi-skilled assistants, laying out and coordinating the work flow for jobs, preparing materials lists and ordering supplies for jobs, and has ancillary lead work and project planning responsibilities.
- Supervises and instructs a small crew of journey level Plumbers and semi-skilled workers. Performs the following; installation, maintenance, inspection, modification, remodel and repair of mechanical plumbing equipment and systems. Replaces and repairs plumbing systems, fixtures for water, gas, oil and sewage systems. Coordinates annual fire extinguisher certification. Prepares budget for fire extinguisher contractors. Performs fire extinguisher replacement as needed. Works on fire/sprinkler systems. May perform work on campus swimming pools, ponds, lab utilities.
- Coordinates, supervises and inspects the work for projects; reads plans and drawing and assists in planning the work; performs research and prepares reports on costs related to projects and work; prepares list of materials and make recommendations; prepares work schedules and may coordinate the work of other crafts related to the projects. May prepare drawings and estimates related to work and for plumbing equipment and systems. Acts as mentor for Apprentice Plumber.
- Coordinates and assign work for Preventive Maintenance; identify trouble areas in plumbing systems on campus and make recommendations; instruct the crew on correct techniques, regulations and codes; instruct the crew on safety practices and assure safety regulations and rules are observed. Supervise the maintenance of the Plumbing Shop; assure shop cleanliness and maintenance of all related equipment.
- Perform entries on computer for time and material using the Facilities Management work order system; submit work orders and schedule same; maintain jobs records and prepare reports; assist with performance evaluations and make recommendations to supervisor; maintain inventory, order supplies and materials and prepare related repots; assists supervisor with miscellaneous administrative functions.
- Knowledge of the Uniform Plumbing Code.
- Knowledge of the Safety Regulations of the division of Industrial Safety applicable to the plumbing trade.
- Excellent knowledge and ability to use the tools and equipment of the trade.
- Ability to read blueprints, work from plans, rough sketches, and specifications.
- Knowledge of confined space entry procedures.
- Backhoe experience desirable.
- Good oral, verbal, and written interpersonal communications skills. Ability to interact positively with others and the University.
- Solid work history.
- Must be able to lead, instruct and coordinate the work of a small group or crew of skilled and semi-skilled workers.
- Ability to provide direction on the interpretation and use of blueprints, plans, drawings, and specifications to the work crew.
- Accurately estimate costs, supplies and materials needed for jobs and projects.
- Prepare materials lists; ensure work is performed in sequence; inspect and assess work to ensure it meets requirements and specifications.
- Analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations.
- Maintain computerized maintenance management systems and records and prepare more complex reports.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
Equivalent to a high school diploma and two or more years of experience as a journey-level plumber including one to two years in a lead/supervisory capacity required.
Licenses / Certificates
- Equivalent to a high school diploma and two or more years of experience as a journey-level plumber including one to two years in a lead/supervisory capacity required.
- Valid California driver's license required.
- City of Long Beach Health Department certificate for Limited Backflow Prevention Device Tester, highly desirable or must be obtained within six (6) months of hire date.
Beach Building Services
Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
CSU Classification Salary Range: $6,829 - $8,655 per month
Excellent benefits through CalPERS (health, vision, dental), tuition fee waiver, generous vacation and sick leave, and 14 paid holidays each year.
Full-time temporary position for (1) year with no permanent status granted. Temporary assignments may expire prior to the ending date.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSULB is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1B Visas).
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Due to the nature of this position, current CSULB employees are subject to a criminal record check unless they have successfully completed a criminal background check through CSULB within the past 12 months.
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
To view the University's Annual Campus Crime Report go to: http://daf.csulb.edu/offices/ppfm/police/statistics/index.html. Copies of the report are available upon request. To request a copy, contact the University Police Department at [Register to View] .
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to COVID19-Staff-Info@csulb.edu.
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Application Closes: Feb 08, 2023 (11:55 PM)
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/524081/supervising-plumber
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-f526729f31495d4d83862cfde4adbd21