Assistant Grounds Manager
California State University, Long Beach
Assistant Grounds Manager
Job No: 524583
Work Type: Management (MPP)
Location: Long Beach
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time
The duties of the Grounds and Landscape Services Assistant Manager are to assist the department Manager with in facilitating departmental operations. Duties include establishing team development with the leads and specialist providing support and direction in daily schedules, enforcing university policies and procedures, and completing staff evaluations.
- Assist the Manager in field supervision of Lead Grounds workers and their crews, Irrigation Specialists, Pest Control Specialist, Tree trimmer and Equipment Operators. Implementing and coordinating crew schedules and maximizing labor productivity. Provide direct supervision to employees in the Waste and Recycling program.
- Assist in the design and quality control of campus landscape through the review and coordination of landscape construction drawings for minor and major capital projects and inspection of individual grounds sections with the goal of standardizing more sustainable maintenance methods and consistency of maintenance standards throughout campus.
- Assist considerable the Manager experience with enforcement progressive of policies, discipline procedures; procedures, incumbent grievances must processes have and performing evaluations related to Grounds personnel.
- Assist in oversight of grounds department equipment. Includes oversight of Employees vehicle weekly inspections and monitoring of the tracking report and making sure vehicles and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained.
- Assist in coordinating oversight of the Grounds Rainmaster Central irrigation system with emphasis on efficient programming with the irrigation specialist. Coordinate the Arbro Pro GPS tree inventory system with the development of campus asset collection of campus utilities.
The selected candidate must have knowledge of working in a union environment and understanding contract language. Proficient experience in office software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel. The selected candidate must possess the capability to deal effectively with individuals and groups on and off campus, including administrators, managers, staff, customers, and peers. Extensive knowledge in plant identification and maintenance techniques. Must have the ability to analyze complex problems and situations and make appropriate recommendations, understand complex relationships of individual campus department needs, restrained budgets and external requirements. Experience in the maintenance and care of general use athletic fields as well as collegiate level sports surfaces such as soccer, baseball, and track.
Must possess exceptional communication and leadership skills. Working knowledge and experience with work order control system. Working knowledge and experience with IBM or compatible computer. Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft office software, i.e. Word, Excel. Working knowledge and experience with central irrigation systems. Working knowledge and experience with Arbor Pro GPS tree inventory system. Demonstrates full knowledge and experience in operational principles, procedures, and fiscal management. Ability to take initiative. Working knowledge of plan review process for construction projects. Ability to read plans to locate Irrigation systems and review plant material. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to organize and plan work and projects including handling multiple priorities. Experience working in a university or large institutional setting. Solid work record.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Turfgrass Science and Management, Associate Degree in Science in Turfgrass Science and Management, Horticulture, Facilities Management, Public Administration, Business, or a related field or the equivalency.
- Must have five (5) years of management experience in grounds maintenance, nursery, or landscape work in a large institutional setting.
- Valid California driver's license required. (Incumbents required to possess a California Driver's License valid for the operation of any vehicle or equipment they are required to maintain and operate. Employees who are required to operate motorized vehicles and/or use their personal vehicle more than once a month on university business are required to take a mandatory Defensive Driving course and enroll in the DMV Employee Pull Notice (EPN) Program.)
- Certificate in Turfgrass Management experience preferred.
- Appropriate License for Pest control and landscape maintenance or acquire within one (1) year of hire.
- Certified Arborist or acquire certificate, and Qualified Applicators license completion within one (1) year of hire.
Beach Building Services - Grounds
Hiring Range: $5,460 - $8,190 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, qualifications, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
This is a management level position with an attractive benefits package, which includes a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month, and excellent choice of medical, dental, and vision insurance, long term disability coverage, life insurance, educational fee waiver, and retirement benefits.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY
It is important that all sections of the on-line application are filled out completely and accurately. Please include all relevant education and experience. Your application will be used to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for this position
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Due to the nature of this position, current CSULB employees are subject to a criminal record check unless they have successfully completed a criminal background check through CSULB within the past 12 months.
CSULB is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1B Visas).
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to COVID19-Staff-Info@csulb.edu.
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
To view the University's Annual Campus Crime Report go to: http://daf.csulb.edu/offices/ppfm/police/statistics/index.html. Copies of the report are available upon request. To request a copy, contact the University Police Department at [Register to View] .
Application Closes: Feb 22, 2023 (11:55 PM)
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/524583/assistant-grounds-manager
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-c55e20b7fc021342a1f085cbdaeac82e