The trades manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations, management, organization, and direction of trades maintenance operations at Salem State University. The trades manager exercises overall responsibility for monitoring productivity of staff, establishing schedules, inspecting building conditions, developing budgets and operational specifications, and works directly with other departments around campus. This individual also ensures staff are working safely and following safety procedures and arranges and provides skill and developmental training.
Salem State University values, celebrates and appreciates diversity in all its forms and endeavors to create a space that reflects the campus community population which it serves. Our students come to Salem State University from 38 states and 48 countries and reflect the demographics of the greater Boston community in which we live. We are passionate about providing an experience for them and our fellow staff and faculty, where everyone can feel supported while they explore, learn, and celebrate their identities, similarities, and differences. We welcome you to come celebrate with us and become a member of our community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(E) - Essential function
- (E) Manages the university's maintenance operations, programs, and related contracts
- (E) Responsible for the overall supervision, development, and work of trades staff
- (E) Monitors leave requests, reviews, and approves electronic timecards and oversees annual performance evaluations
- (E) Oversees the selection and training of all staff; identifies classes for staff skills development training and conducts policy and procedure reviews, and monitors completion of safety training
- (E) Responsible for determining staffing level needs for all university property
- (E) Manages the trade staff budgets, including overtime
- (E) Determines department supply needs, manages related contractor services and staff
- (E) Monitors and assesses employee performance and provides feedback to staff as necessary to meet university performance standards; addresses and resolves employee performance and behavioral issues
- (E) Conducts regular inspections of buildings and grounds to determine service needs, reviews staff job assignments and analyzes workloads to meet university standards
- (E) Meets regularly with staff and customers to review work requests, supply and equipment needs. Reviews completion of work order requests
- (E) Provides technical assistance, direction, and oversight to staff. Performs estimates, planning, scheduling, implementation, and inspection for all building repairs and maintenance, small construction projects, preventative maintenance
- (E) Reviews technical drawings for projects and construction, develops specifications and standards for related trade oversight, and coordinates work related to inspections and permitting activity
- (E) Develops and maintains specifications for supplies, contractor services, and tools and equipment. Directs work performed by service contractors and reviews trade related specifications and submittals for projects
- Promote the university's commitment to customer service by:
- Building effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the university by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed
- Ensure optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles
- Demonstrates sensitivity to students with a diversity of learning
- Serves as a role model and mentor for students as appropriate
- Serves on various committees as assigned
- Bachelor's degree and Five years of relevant full-time maintenance experience
- Associates degree in Business Administration or Management or related field and 1O or more years of relevant full time maintenance experience
- High School Diploma or GED 15 years of relevant full-time maintenance experience
- Five years of direct management of 10 or more employees
- Experience using work order management, scheduling, Microsoft office suite
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines as well as demonstrated flexibility to meet changing needs to handle anticipated and unpredictable deadlines
- Experience in planning, implementing and controlling budgets
- Working knowledge of OSHA Regulations, and ADA Regulations
- Working knowledge of Massachusetts Building Codes
- Management and operations experience in similar institutional settings
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including creating reports, conducting meetings, and training personnel; demonstrated ability to communicate to large groups within a multilevel organization
- Demonstrated knowledge and oversight of Carpentry, Lock, Paint, Electrical, Plumbing and HVAC
- Demonstrate general knowledge of Power Plant operations
- Availability in emergency after-hour and recall situations as needed
- Possession of a current valid driver's license
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email email@example.com.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5-10 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online at https://careers-salemstate.icims.com and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
This position is not eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time and additional applications will not be accepted.