Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
Building Maintenance Worker 1
Position Number: PS04203
We are seeking Building Maintenance and Custodial workers who will perform a variety of duties. Building Maintenance workers will perform routine repairs and installations to maintain the condition and appearance of University equipment, buildings, and facilities, in accordance with established standards. Maintain grounds and buildings and perform labor related to special events.
Custodial workers will perform a variety of custodial duties to maintain the condition and appearance of University buildings and facilities in accordance with established standards.
Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits included.
- Construct and maintain building woodwork such as counters, benches, stairs, doors, floors, and windows. Paint, varnish, stain, enamel, lacquer, and redecorate walls, woodwork, and fixtures of buildings and facilities using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Work with plaster and brick to repair and maintain buildings and facilities.
- Use hand tools, power tools, and testing instruments for repairs and maintenance of machinery and equipment.
- Read blueprints and work from sketches or verbal instructions to locate rooms, vents, pipes, etc., and to construct and repair woodwork.
- Replace faulty switches, outlets, bulbs, fixtures, fluorescent lights, starters, and other simple electrical system elements.
- Replace washers, faucets, broken pipes, and snake the drains.
- Repair and maintain custodial and building maintenance equipment.
- Repair and replace windows, doors, ceiling and floor tile, and wood wall coverings.
- Repair furniture such as cabinets, chairs, store fixtures, and office equipment. Repair loose or broken joints.
- Assist with grounds maintenance. Use a leaf blower to remove leaves and other debris from the grounds. Pick up trash as needed.
- Assist with special events. Set up stages, canopies, public address systems, etc.
- Assist with moving furniture and equipment.
- Ensure safety procedures are observed.
- Drive University vehicle.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Valid California Driver’s License.
- One-year related experience.
- Good knowledge of general maintenance and repair (carpentry, electrical, painting, plastering, and plumbing).
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to read blueprints and sketches desirable.
- Ability to maintain a good driving record and meet the University’s requirements for insurability.
- Reading skills sufficient to understand written instructions.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more.
- Ability to bend, stoop, climb, push, etc.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
To apply for this position, please visit https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/4015
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.