This job is archived
Purpose: The Post-fire Forest Resilience Education Academic Coordinator will develop and oversee a post-fire forest resilience education program for private forest landowners to help them begin the process of reversing the ecological, economic, environmental, aesthetic, and social impacts of the 2019 to 2021 wildfires. The academic coordinator will serve as a liaison between UC ANR academics, other forest and fire professionals, private landowners and the public to provide education and outreach around post-fire activities and build broad awareness of the need and best practices for forest restoration. The incumbent will support the distribution of research-based information through the development of post-fire forest resilience curriculum and the dissemination of information via electronic and in-person formats.
Additional responsibilities include supervision of project personnel, identifying extramural fund development opportunities, and developing a system to track project performance.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Programmatic competence includes:
- Oversees the development of a post-fire forest resilience education curriculum for outreach and education to private landowners.
- Performs needs assessment to assess needs and opportunities for post-fire forest resilient forests.
- Organizes and hosts extension activities including steering committee meetings, workshops and site visits.
- Oversees a team of UC ANR post-fire staff in development of educational materials in a variety of formats.
- Coordinates the provision of post-fire technical assistance by UC ANR post-fire team.
- Serves as liaison between UC academics, other forest and fire professionals, private landowners and the public on information regarding resilient, fire adapted forests.
- Develops and implements a system to track project performance, gather data and report outcomes.
- Assures compliance with affirmative action policies including supporting outreach efforts to underserved and underrepresented audiences.
- An earned Master’s degree or other advanced degree in Forestry, Natural Resources, Fire, Organizational Development, Education, or other related field by the appointment start date.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience coordinating or managing outreach and educational programs.
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint), databases and web-based tools (calendar/documents and social media).
- Ability to organize and prioritize activities to meet programmatic work plans.
- Experience working independently and as a team member.
- Ability to travel to locations within California to host educational events.
- General knowledge of fire, forest health, forest management and/or fuels reduction.
- Ability to communicate with forest landowners, land managers and academics.
- Ability to connect people and facilitate group interactions.
- Successful grant writing experience.
Other special conditions of employment:
Must possess a valid driver’s license to drive a County or University vehicle. Ability and means to travel on a flexible schedule as needed and proof of liability damage insurance on vehicle is required. Access to public transportation will not be available for most assignments. Reimbursement of job-related travel will be according to University policies. Successful candidate will participate in the DMV Pull Notice System.
Salary: The beginning salary will be in the Academic Coordinator II series. For information regarding the Academic Coordinator series salary scales, please refer to: https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2022-23/july-2022-salary-scales/t36-ii.pdf
This is a definite term appointment. This position is funded for 2 years, with the possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding. The performance in this position will be evaluated annually. The merit cycle for this position will be evaluated every two (2) years.
How to apply:
If interested in this position, please visit: https://recruit.ucanr.edu/ and choose “applicants” (refer to position #22-53)
Closing Date: To assure full consideration, application packets must be received by
August 12, 2022.
Questions: Contact Pam Tise email: email@example.com
“Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring work authorization without need of employer sponsorship for the duration of the appointment period.”