We’re looking for those individuals—the creative thinkers and innovation seekers—who are content with nothing short of changing the world. Discover the endless opportunities within the Medical College of Wisconsin and be inspired by the work we can do together to improve health, and make a positive, daily impact in our communities.
In the role of Research Scientist I working in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Our Research Scientist will supervise and independently perform studies to advance the goals of the principal investigator’s research projects. Perform experiments, analyze data and compile results and monitor quality control processes to ensure integrity of research.
The Max McGee Diabetes Research Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin and Children's Wisconsin, located in Milwaukee, is seeking a motivated PhD level scientist to help further important studies in Type 1 Diabetes. Our team of scientists and clinicians are working to improve the quality of life for Type 1 diabetes patients by pursuing these objectives:
- Exploring and understanding the genetic basis of Type 1 Diabetes
- Investigating the immunological processes underlying autoimmunity against the insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas
- Identifying which factors make the beta cell a target
- Defining better biomarkers for type 1 diabetes to identify those at risk and monitor those undergoing therapeutic intervention
The McGee Center employs techniques such as RT-PCR, ELISA, Flow Cytometry, Cell Culturing, Single-Cell Sequencing, and Microarray technology in our studies. Ideally individuals will possess the ability to think creatively, innovate, and have excellent communication skills. Accuracy and attention to detail are a must for this position. Experience in immunology and or autoimmunity is desired.
McGee Research Scientists are asked to supervise and independently perform studies, as well analyze data and monitor process quality.
Discover the endless opportunities within the Medical College of Wisconsin and be inspired by the opportunity to improve health, and make a positive, daily impact in our communities.
- Design and execute complex research procedures.
- Develop and perform routine and complex protocols for research programs.
- Coordinate research study activities; lead and manage projects.
- Assist in developing, implementing and monitoring quality activities.
- Collaborate with principle investigators in determining study design and performing statistical analyses.
- Perform and develop routine and complex computational and database methods for implementation. May serve as primary statistician for area.
- Develop new methodologies for lab procedures.
- Participate in meetings with principle investigator and research staff and evaluate/interpret the validity of data, develop methodologies, evaluate lab procedures.
- May oversee the work of laboratory personnel including training and development as well as daily work direction/delegation/prioritizing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
Knowledge of biology, chemistry, mathematics, documentation, and records management.
Data utilization, complex problem solving, critical thinking, resource management, and writing skills.
Full-time role with expectations for coverage during core business hours and flexibility required as necessary to accommodate business needs.
Minimum Required Education: PhD in a scientific field
Minimum Required Experience: No experience required
Preferred Experience: Background knowledge in Immunology and/or autoimmunity related to Type 1 diabetes is preferred. Technical experience in genetics/genomics/transcriptomics and/or cellular immunology is preferred.
- Outstanding Healthcare Coverage, including but not limited to Health, Vison, and Dental. Along with Flexible Spending options
- 403B Retirement Package
- Competitive Vacation and Paid Holidays offered
- Tuition Reimbursement
- On campus Fitness Facility, offering onsite classes.
- Additional discounted rates on things as: Select cell phone plans, local fitness facilities, Milwaukee recreation and entertainment etc.
For a full list of positions see: www.mcw.edu/careers
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
MCW as an Equal Opportunity Employer and Commitment to Non-Discrimination
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristic, or military status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the MCW community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.