Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU) is a premier mission-driven university dedicated to transforming the lives of underserved communities through health professions education, clinical service, biomedical research and compassionate patient care. Over 80 percent of CDU students and over 71 percent of CDU faculty are from communities of color. We are committed to cultivating diverse health professional leaders who are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underrepresented groups impacted by health disparities not only in South Los Angeles, but around the world.
Position Number: PS05132
The Research Assistant will work under the supervision of the Division Chief, Faculty, and Staff to provide technical assistance and support to conduct cancer research. This position will provide support to Faculty and Staff to prepare buffers and reagents as well as perform routine assays as needed. The focus of the Division of Cancer Research and Training is on translational cancer health disparities with a focus on Breast, Colon, and Prostate cancers.
- Assist in performing cell culture, growth/invasion, and MTT assays, DNA/RNA extractions, IHC/IMF, PCR/western blots, and other molecular and biochemical procedures.
- Assist in preparation of buffers, reagents, MTT, western blot, PCR and other molecular assay materials.
- Participates in performing inventory of supplies, and assists in communications related to the study.
- Assists in the preparation of data, as well as perform basic record keeping of protocols and results, and figure presentation.
- Assist the Faculty and Staff in mentoring student interns.
- Will receive training in basic cancer health disparities laboratory research and have the opportunity to participate in seminars and lectures addressing cancer health disparities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Regionally accredited undergraduate degree (B.A., B.S.) required in Biological Sciences or related field.
- Basic background in biochemistry and/or molecular biology.
- Prefer some experience in laboratory – cancer research is a plus.
- Ability to perform basic cell culture; growth, invasion, and MTT assays; IHC/IMF; PCR/Western, and other basic molecular and biochemical assays as needed.
- Ability to prepare buffers and reagents as requested according to protocols.
- Ability to follow protocols to perform experiments.
- Willingness to learn new molecular/biochemical procedures.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office and use of PubMed.
- Experienced in Biological Sciences or related field.
- Some experience in experimental cancer research is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
The ideal candidate has an interest in cancer health disparities.
To apply, please visit https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/4036
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.