Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
HIV Testing Counselor/Community Worker
Posting Number 00535
The HIV Testing Counselor/Community Worker provides flexible, community based outreach within the three (3) off-site partner agencies and performs rapid HIV testing and counseling, facilitate groups, and conduct individual sessions and make referrals to OASIS Clinic HIV medical care. In supporting the HIV rapid testing program provides counseling, testing and referral services (CTRS) targeting high-risk African-Americans and their partner(s) in South Los Angeles and metro areas through innovative and nontraditional outreach methods.
- Conduct initial intake assessment and identify appropriate client needs;
- Conduct programmatic activities by working closely with the rapid testing program coordinator, and outreach team members;
- Provide outreach and follow-up services;
- Comply with all program protocols and agency policies;
- Complete mandated HIV Counseling and testing certification, orientation and all mandatory training to guarantee appropriate competency in program requirements;
- Conduct rapid HIV testing and counseling in a variety of venues to include community sites and venues, on a mobile unit and at the Health Fairs;
- Conduct outreach to women and other interested parties in the community;
- Conduct presentations on HIV 101 at community venues and large events;
- Provide and follow up on appropriate referrals to community services;
- Refer individuals infected with HIV to case management, medical care, support services and other services as needed and thoroughly follow-up on and document all referrals made;
- Provide accurate information to the community about HIV transmission, prevention and testing;
- Complete all testing and referral procedures and paperwork in a detailed, professional and timely fashion;
- Maintain written and computerized records, compile reports and completed other program documentation (e.g.; progress notes, assessments, surveys)
- Submit clear and accurate data collection forms for all outreach and CTR work performed;
- Prepare and submit clear, detailed monthly report to supervisor in a timely fashion;
- Participate in all staff and program meetings, site visits with funders and required training;
- Keep supervisor informed of all problems, challenges and conflicts related to job; and
- Meet attendance and timeliness requirements; maintain a positive work attitude and resolve issues with others constructively.
- Passion for HIV Prevention, strong commitment to women and families, and experience working directly with similar HIV/AIDS programs.
- Must have knowledge of HIV counseling, testing and referral services, partner counseling and referral services.
- Must be able to conduct rapid HIV testing according to Department of Public Health and CDC standards.
- Ability to provide CTR services. Must have knowledge of HIV/AIDS primary and secondary prevention strategies and HIV transmission. Knowledge of metro LA community, resources and services is important.
- The ability to providing counseling and communicate using sensitivity, tact, discretion and a caring attitude is paramount to success in this position.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to effectively evaluate program effectiveness and recommend improvements.
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written.
- Good counseling and crisis intervention skills and techniques.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Good interviewing and evaluation skills. Good observation and assessment skills.
- Knowledge of alcohol and drug abuse treatment strategies.
- Knowledge of community services resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of CDC harm reduction intervention.
- Computer skills in MS Windows, Word, Excel, etc. required
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) proficiency in speaking and writing required.
- High School diploma or equivalency.
- Vocational training in substance abuse.
- State certification in HIV testing and counseling.
- Two to four years work experience in providing CTR and outreach services.
- Experience with CTR data entry and collection.
- Formal training in HIV education and prevention skills (C&TI, Introduction, Fundamentals and STD) is highly desirable.
- Valid California class “C” driver’s license.
- Certified HIV counselor
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
- Annual TB test required; skin test or chest x-ray.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3821
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer