Educational Requirements for the Position
The selected candidate must have a Ph.D. in hand by the start date (August 2023). ABD applicants will be considered but must have a granted Ph.D. upon arrival. (August 2023).
Experience Required for the Position
- Demonstrates evidence of ability and desire to teach and establish research/scholarly projects in Latin American Politics and at least one of the following subject areas: 1) Democratization and Democratic Backsliding; 2) Populism; 3) Authoritarian Politics; 4) Immigration, and 5) Comparative Political Economy.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate the skills and interest in teaching undergraduate and graduate online courses.
- Ph.D. in political science or related discipline by August 2023
- Cover Letter that identifies their interests, qualifications, and experience for the position.
- The current CV includes, if applicable, a summary of previous teaching experience and the format of each course taught (i.e., face-to-face, online, hybrid).
- All graduate transcripts – unofficial transcripts will be accepted during the application process. However, the successful candidate must submit official transcripts documenting all post-secondary degrees.
- If available, recent student teaching evaluations cover the last two semesters of teaching. Those without teaching evaluations will need to upload a placeholder document in lieu of evaluations.
- Teaching statement, including a discussion of online pedagogy. If available, sample syllabi for relevant courses.
- Diversity statement discussing how the applicant would engage Sam Houston State University’s diverse student population and meet the College of Humanities and Social Sciences’ core goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from supervisors who are familiar with the applicant’s teaching abilities and who have worked with the applicant in the past two years.
Rank: Assistant Professor
Hiring Salary: Salary Commensurate with education and experience.
Position Type: Full-Time Tenure Track
College: College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department: Dept of Political Science
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215