This job is archived
(Archived) Research Nurse I
We’re looking for those individuals—the creative thinkers and innovation seekers—who are content with nothing short of changing the world. Discover the endless opportunities within the Medical College of Wisconsin and be inspired by the work we can do together to improve health, and make a positive, daily impact in our communities.
In the role of Research Nurse I working in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Our Research Nurse will conduct clinical research studies and implement research protocols for the Early Phase Cancer Research Program. Share nursing knowledge with patients and team members to instruct on protocol related therapy and guide them in their decision making related to protocol compliance.
Conduct clinical research studies and implement research protocols for the Early Phase Cancer Research Program. Share nursing knowledge with patients and team members to instruct on protocol related therapy and guide them in their decision making related to protocol compliance.
• Coordinate, evaluate and follow patient participation in clinical research. This includes, but is not limited to identifying, enrolling and consenting patients, organizing study visits and follow-ups, responding to patient telephone calls.
• Supports the early phase oncology research team as a clinical resource to staff and to patients participating in complex Phase I/multidisciplinary trials.
• Under physician direction, perform protocol-specific clinical tasks including patient assessment (i.e. toxicity management, drug compliance, performance status), screening, ordering tests and procedures, collecting specimens, and monitoring responses. May administer medication or other types of protocol specific intervention.
• Provide patient and family education. May provide staff education concerning research protocols as required.
- Complete all forms required for proper protocol documentation. Maintain patient records. Enter patient data into Clinical Trial Management System database (OnCore) and other sponsor specific programs as necessary. Maintain confidentiality of all patient-related records including written and verbal communications.
- Utilize CTO tools for compliance. Share suggestions for implementation of quality improvement with the Research Manager, Education/QA Coordinator, CTO staff, and all members of the research team as appropriate.
- An active member of the research team. Facilitate collaboration of multi-disciplinary research, along with CTO Manager and Principal Investigators, to assure continued protocol interest and adherence.
• Identify problems or obstacles in the system/procedures related to implementation of the research protocols and communicate to the study investigators. Notify appropriate personnel of any complications or untoward effects of research studies.
• Assist the CTO regulatory team with submission of IRB protocols, grant applications, and consent forms. Assure compliance with all relevant IRB and other regulatory agency requirements.
• Assist in the training of early phase disease team staff as applicable.
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
Knowledge of biology, chemistry, mathematics, documentation, and records management.
Data utilization, complex problem solving, critical thinking, resource management, and writing skills.
Appropriate experience may be substituted for education on an equivalent basis
- Minimum Required Education: Associate degree in Nursing
- Minimum Required Experience: 2 years
- Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing is preferred
- Preferred Experience: 2 years registered nursing experience in Oncology. Administrative or clinical research experience preferred.
- Certification: Current Wisconsin Registered Nurse License
Outstanding Healthcare Coverage, including but not limited to Health, Vison, and Dental. Along with Flexible Spending options
- 403B Retirement Package
- Competitive Vacation and Paid Holidays offered
- Tuition Reimbursement
- On campus Fitness Facility, offering onsite classes.
- Additional discounted rates on things as: Select cell phone plans, local fitness facilities, Milwaukee recreation and entertainment etc.
For a full list of positions see: www.mcw.edu/careers
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
MCW as an Equal Opportunity Employer and Commitment to Non-Discrimination
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristic, or military status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the MCW community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.