$4,010 – $7,254 • monthly
California State University, Long Beach
Job No: 526880
Work Type: Staff
Location: Long Beach
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Administrative, Temporary, Full Time
Under general administrative direction, this position will collaborate with course instructors to develop and implement microbiology laboratory activities. Obtain, organize, and arrange all the essential materials for the laboratory exercises and maintain all the supplementary equipment connected to the labs. Additionally, provide continuous support around the clock as needed.
- Work with laboratory instructors to implement microbiology laboratory activities. For BIOL201 lab and BIOL311 lab, acquire, maintain, prepare all necessary equipment and materials including microbiological cultures, reagents, and other consumables. Supervise weekly lab setup when classes are in session to ensure each lab is set up properly. For upper division microbiology lab courses, provide assistance for instructors as needed in acquiring and maintaining equipment and an inventory of materials. Work with laboratory course coordinators or instructors to ensure compliance with State and University safety-related regulations and policies for teaching lab spaces and common-use rooms in the microbiology building. Serve as primary contact when area is inspected by campus entities such as Environment Health and Safety, Radiation and Science Safety, Facilities Management.
- Supervise and train graduate and undergraduate assistants in laboratory preparation.
- Maintain and service teaching and designated research equipment including autoclaves, water purification system, ice maker, spectrophotometers, centrifuges, plate readers, balances, incubators, freezers, micropipettors, etc. Maintain service logs of said equipment. Serve as primary contact when coordinating repair by on-campus or off-campus agencies of above systems as needed. Submit and follow up on Beach Building Services work orders and perform various departmental duties as assigned. Provide ongoing 24-hour support as needed.
- Maintain and service compound microscopes for Biol 201L and 311L and upper division microbiology lab courses.
- Provide consultation to faculty and assist them with development of new instructional activities and preparation manuals and with revision of existing lab activities and manuals as needed to reflect changes in course needs, availability or cost of reagents, supplies and instrumentation. Ensure new lab exercises work as expected.
- Maintain microbiology culture collection. Provide autoclave and centrifuge training for students, staff and faculty.
Must have considerable microbiological knowledge especially aseptic laboratory technique and quality control and assurance tests that are performed and evaluated in order to maintain a safe, laboratory environment. Knowledge of the materials and supplies in the curriculum and their uses so that they may be used in an efficient, cost effective and safe manner. Must be able to plan, organize and coordinate work schedules and ordering and receiving activities.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
Equivalent to three years of experience providing instructional support services for a related unit or discipline, or in producing materials or supplies or repairing equipment related to the discipline required.
Medium work - Job involves lifting heavy-weight objects (20-40 pounds) and/or 20% - 40% of the job involves standing, squatting, kneeling, or walking. May require pushing or pulling objects within the weight limits.
Instructional Support Technician II
Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
Hiring Range: $4,010 - $4,949 per month commensurate with candidate's education, experience, skills, and training
CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,010 - $7,254 per month.
Excellent benefits through CalPERS (health, vision, dental), tuition fee waiver, generous vacation and sick leave, and 14 paid holidays each year.
Full-time temporary position for (2) years with no permanent status granted. Temporary assignments may expire prior to the ending date.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY. It is important that all sections of the on-line application are filled out completely and accurately. Please include all relevant education and experience. Your application will be used to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
CSULB is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1B Visas).
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Due to the nature of this position, current CSULB employees are subject to a criminal record check unless they have successfully completed a criminal background check through CSULB within the past 12 months.
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
To view the University's Annual Campus Crime Report go to: http://daf.csulb.edu/offices/ppfm/police/statistics/index.html. Copies of the report are available upon request. To request a copy, contact the University Police Department at [Register to View] .
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to COVID19-Staff-Info@csulb.edu.
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Application Closes: Apr 26, 2023 (11:55 PM)
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/526880/microbiology-technician
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-e3a86ae2a4763f4b9740841cec8018f8