Every great life-changing discovery begins the same way—with new knowledge. It can change everything, from a single life to the future of entire communities. That’s why academic medicine, and the continuous pursuit of knowledge, is at the center of everything we do at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
In the role of Genetics Counseling Assistant working in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Genetics Counseling Assistant assists genetic counselors in day-to-day operations. They perform routine administrative duties requiring general knowledge of medical terminology, organizational policies and procedures.
Facilitate genetic testing process, including identification of laboratories, researching appropriate testing and sample submission requirements including preparing genetic test ordering forms. Responsible for maintaining laboratory kits and supplies.
- Assist in providing patient care related to clinical program, including collection of medical records/family history, patient telephone intakes, sending out specimens and coordinating family member testing.
- Entering pedigrees and preparing risk assessments using genetics software programs.
- Database entry and maintenance.
- Aid in test result correspondence to physicians and patients.
- Answer and relay telephone calls, resolve routine inquiries, and take appropriate messages.
- Respond to various situations in the work of the genetic counseling program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities
Knowledge of computers, clerical procedures, customer service standards, collaboration, and information management. Organization, time management, interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
Full-time role with expectations for coverage during core business hours.
Appropriate experience may be substituted for education on an equivalent basis
Minimum Required Education: High school diploma
Minimum Required Experience: 3 years of experience
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree, medical terminology college level course
- Outstanding Healthcare Coverage, including but not limited to Health, Vison, and Dental. Along with Flexible Spending options
- 403B Retirement Package
- Competitive Vacation and Paid Holidays offered
- Tuition Reimbursement
- On campus Fitness Facility, offering onsite classes.
- Additional discounted rates on things as: Select cell phone plans, local fitness facilities, Milwaukee recreation and entertainment etc.
For a full list of positions see: www.mcw.edu/careers
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
MCW as an Equal Opportunity Employer and Commitment to Non-Discrimination
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristic, or military status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the MCW community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.