This job is archived
This high-profile and challenging Senior Scientist/Engineer for Community Participatory Research position will be located in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Office of Research and Development’s (ORD’s) Center for Environmental Solutions and Emergency Response (CESER). CESER provides research-based solutions and technical support to assist customers with regulatory, policy, and guidance decisions and to help customers solve environmental problems in the built environment. This position, authorized under EPA’s Title 42 hiring authority, will serve as the lead senior scientist/engineer for a new Community-Engaged Research Collaborative for Learning and Excellence (CERCLE), with primary responsibility for leading the establishment and growth of CERCLE, building relationships with local communities and institutions, and overseeing research to address critical environmental challenges faced by local communities. The duty station for this position is Edison, New Jersey, at the EPA Edison Environmental Center (EEC).
Major duties for this position include:
- Develop a 5-year action plan to build and implement CERCLE to host community-engaged environmental research.
- Build long-term, collaborative, community-driven, and trusting relationships with local community-based groups, especially in underrepresented and underserved communities.
- Communicate the capabilities of CERCLE and build a portfolio of research projects.
- Build a community-of-practice for community-engaged research within the local region.
- Establish interdisciplinary research teams that include social and natural scientists working together with community members and organizations.
- Develop laboratory, office, and meeting capabilities to support community-engaged projects.
- Analyze human resource needs to develop CERCLE capacity and capabilities, including STEM outreach.
- Develop collaborative, scientific relationships with local universities, especially those that emphasize serving disadvantaged students, and with local organizations.
Qualifications: A Doctoral Degree in a scientific field is required for this position. EPA is seeking expertise in many of the following areas:
- Environmental sciences, environmental social sciences, public health, or environmental health.
- Community science, especially community-based participatory research in urban settings.
- Specific knowledge/experience with community organizations New Jersey–New York metropolitan area.
- Research program development/oversight and management of resources.
- Written and oral communication.
- Trust-building and knowledge/experience working with or alongside community-based organizations to achieve local social or environmental objectives and community empowerment.
Salary and Benefits: The position is a full-time, 5-year appointment which can be renewed. The salary range is $176,300-$250,000 per year. Determination of salary is dependent upon qualifications, experience, current salary, and other factors. The selected applicant will be eligible for full benefits including relocation expenses, health and life insurance, retirement, and vacation and sick leave.
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted via the position listing on USAJOBS: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/672458700. The position closes 09/20/2022.