This job is archived
The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) seeks a full-time Director of Alumni Relations & Annual Giving with an anticipated start date of late June 2021. This position reports to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement and is responsible for managing all Alumni-related initiatives, annual giving events and programs. This position is also responsible for the management of a comprehensive, strategic, integrated effort to build and increase individual donor support annually, including alumni donors. The manager will oversee cultivation and solicitation programs that support all annual fund programs with a focus on increasing unrestricted support and alumni giving. This position works in the Department of Institutional Advancement and will work closely with all team members.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities (other duties as assigned)
- Oversee the strategic planning and implementation of all alumni-related initiatives.
- Provide staff leadership for the Alumni Association, growing an alumni culture both within and outside the college, and acting as primary MIAD contact for the association and alumni.
- Work within the Alumni budget to manage alumni events and programs.
- Collaborate with the VP of Advancement to promote alumni philanthropy.
- Email a monthly e-newsletter to MIAD alumni, with updates on the college, students, faculty, alumni.
- Manage the college’s annual giving programs, including alumni giving.
- Responsible for the planning of a comprehensive fundraising program for all college constituents (alumni, friends, faculty, staff, students) to support the college’s mission and build a pipeline of support to improve participation, dollars raised and donors engaged among each population and the constituency as a whole.
- Create a multi-channel marketing approach (direct mail, email, phone, social, digital) working closely with the Director of Communications.
- Implement and lead efforts for micro-campaigns, such as crowdfunding, Day of Giving, Giving Tuesday, alumni day of giving.
- Average 4-5 face to face visits per month with alumni and other donors accounting for approximately 20-25 percent of the manager’s time.
- After donor visits, donor reports are required and added to the database, Engage.
- Train and learn the donor database, Engage.
- Partner with the Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving in the creation and implementation of an annual strategic plan for growth, retention and upgrade of memberships, creation of solicitation materials.
- Devise new and creative segmentation strategies to target select donor populations for unrestricted support of the college.
- Responsible for increasing alumni giving on an annual basis while growing the donor pools for the college.
- Develop a plan for increased matching and recurring gifts. Work closely with the Director of Special Events and Vice President for Institutional Advancement.
- Support comprehensive campaign initiatives through the qualification of campaign prospects.
- Measure effectiveness on annual giving solicitations to determine return on investment of individual appeals.
- Partner with the database manager and Director of major gifts and planned giving to create a stewardship plan, which includes a welcome packet for first time donors to the college.
Preferred Sills, Knowledge and Abilities
- High level of confidentiality and strong sense of stewardship interacting with donors, alumni, volunteers, board members, faculty, staff and students.
- Strong oral, written, interpersonal communication skills and ability to train and support student employees.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications; experience with development database, wealth screening systems and Constant Contact.
- Ability to analyze and summarize biographical and financial data from multiple sources.
- Demonstrates ability of supporting a diverse community of staff, faculty and students.
- Proven ability to work independently and with initiative.
- Creative, enthusiastic, and openness to innovation.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities effectively.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 2-3 years development or relevant experience required.
- Ability to work in-person and/or remotely depending on status of the COVID-19 pandemic. Expectation will be to work on-site post-pandemic.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
Application Process and Deadline
Qualified applicants should submit the following information in one (1) pdf document via email to: email@example.com
- A letter of interest
- A resume
- Three (3) professional references and contact information
Initial review of candidates will occur in June 2021. Anticipated start date late June 2021.
MIAD offers an attractive benefits package, including health, vision and dental insurance. All final candidates extended an offer must successfully complete reference and background checks.