This job is archived
Our projects range from state- or county-wide social marketing campaigns to training and technical assistance projects with a variety of ongoing strategic communications needs. Specifically, the candidate should be comfortable providing technical assistance and training to public sector clients to assist them in meeting their communication goals. In addition to project work, the Health Communication Specialist will also actively participate in organizing and contributing to proposals for new public health-related projects at the local, state, and national levels. JSI’s work in Health Communication (https://healthcommunication.jsi.com/) combines our decades of public health experience with strategies and approaches to support strategic communication and behavior change initiatives to improve people's lives.
Candidates should be flexible, possess an entrepreneurial spirit, and be enthusiastic about JSI’s mission of promoting and improving health for all, with a focus on U.S. communities with unequal access to health-related resources. The ideal candidate will be an individual who embraces opportunities for personal and organizational growth, enjoys working both collaboratively and independently with quick turnaround times, demonstrates a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills, and can excel while contributing to multiple projects simultaneously. This position will either be based in JSI's Berkeley, California or Denver, Colorado office.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online by December 10, 2021. Applications must be submitted online through the JSI Careers page.
- Develop communication plans and social media strategies for JSI projects, including social marketing campaigns and technical assistance centers
- Conduct and synthesize findings from qualitative research activities such as literature reviews, key informant interviews, and focus groups
- Work in close collaboration with project teams, including graphic designers, to design and develop culturally-appropriate, compelling print and online materials for a variety of audiences and communication channels, including social media.
- Create content for a variety of audiences and communication channels
- Develop training materials and provide technical assistance on communication planning and social media to public sector clients
- Support evaluation of health communication projects, including estimating reach and impact of communication activities/media placements through web and social media analytics
- Participate in all phases of deliverable development: outlining, research, drafting, editing, layout, and dissemination
- Contribute to business development through proposal writing, development of relationships with potential clients, and generation of new project opportunities
- Manage projects with a high level of organization and capacity to meet deadlines
- Work collaboratively and communicate frequently with project team members and other JSI staff working locally and in other JSI offices
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- Master's degree in health communication, public health, or related field with preferred 3-5 years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including copyediting
- Experience managing social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat)
- Experience developing and implementing digital marketing strategies, and knowledge of digital campaign monitoring systems such as Hootsuite and Meltwater
- Demonstrated strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- Strong aesthetic sense and understanding of good design principles (e.g., typography, branding, color theory)
- Understanding of accessibility best practices, including for social media platforms
- A passion for public health and working to improve health, equity, and safety
- An entrepreneurial approach to potential opportunities and challenges and commitment to high-quality client-focused services
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work on multiple tasks and projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with team members, clients, and other key stakeholders
- Experience working with diverse and underserved populations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Google products (Drive, Calendar, Docs, etc.)
- Familiarity with graphic design software (e.g., Adobe Creative Cloud, i.e. InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Familiarity with website content management systems (e.g., WordPress, Drupal)
- Video editing and animated video software skills
- Spanish language skills a plus