Job was saved successfully.
Job was removed from Saved Jobs.
Who we are:
John Snow, Inc. (JSI), a leading public health research and consulting organization dedicated to advancing the health of individuals and communities, is seeking a Project Associate to join our energetic and collaborative Bay Area-based California team. This position will be responsible for supporting our growing portfolio of U.S.-based projects focused on collaboration and collective action across primary care and behavioral health at the local, state and national levels; public health and health care initiatives that challenge the status quo to advance equity; training and technical assistance for safety-net organizations; and applied research to build the evidence-base for emerging areas in public health. JSI projects span a wide variety of topics including: primary care/behavioral health integration; strategies to advance health and racial equity including addressing social determinants of health; homelessness; women’s health; maternal and child health; HIV; payment reform and Medicaid policy; and multisector approaches to advancing population health.
How we work:
We pride ourselves on being a workplace where people from a wide variety of lived experiences have the freedom to pursue their passions and take an active part in shaping the future of our work. We have a bias toward action: We do research with the explicit intent of influencing policy change and changes in practice and have results to show it. We understand that the public health field needs to reflect the diversity of our communities and are committed to building a diverse, and inclusive team.
Our office culture is strong—we care about each other as coworkers and as individuals and strive to extend flexibility to staff so that they can manage life, while still meeting the demands of the job. We are committed to each others' success and view performance evaluations as collaborative experiences for growth and development. When it is safe to gather in person, we hold weekly staff lunches; host our partners, friends, and families at the office; and make sure to make time for the occasional fun staff outing.
JSI is committed to the safety of our staff and to facilitating connection and community with one another. We are transitioning into a hybrid work environment in which all Bay Area JSI staff work from the office on Wednesdays, and an additional 1-2 days per week of each staff members’ choosing. All other days staff may choose to work in the office or remotely. Given the constantly changing environment, this arrangement may be adjusted over time as needed.
About the role:
We are hiring a full-time Project Associate to join our California team, based in Berkeley. This position is designed to provide a breadth of exposure to multiple areas of domestic public health for a recent graduate or early career professional looking to launch a career in public health, health policy, or a related field. For this role, we’re looking for someone who embraces opportunities for growth and thrives in roles of responsibility with quick turnaround times. Our office is small and our team works closely together: all staff members work across multiple projects simultaneously with a high-level of individual accountability.
Annual salary is $56,700 - $60,900 (depending on years of experience) plus excellent benefits including health insurance, dental, vision, and a 401k with a company match. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format through www.jsi.com. No phone inquiries.
The Project Associate will:
- Provide research and administrative support for project teams, including web searches, logistical coordination of project activities (interviews, meetings, trainings, workshops, webinars), maintenance of project-related files, and notetaking;
- Contribute to project deliverables and communications, including literature searches and reviews, outline drafting, synthesizing, writing, slide-creation, formatting, editing, and design;
- Interface with clients and support the range of project activities - from scheduling meetings to presenting work products to supporting virtual events;
- Provide logistical support for virtual meetings, events, and convenings, including slide sharing, breakout room assignments, technical troubleshooting, and development of a detailed logistics agenda
- Contribute to internal JSI CA responsibilities (facilitating office-wide meetings, operational functions within the office, etc.);
- Contribute to JSI CA and broader JSI efforts to advance equity, diversity, and inclusion in our internal operations and project work;
- Organize and contribute to business development and proposals for new projects;
- Represent JSI with external audiences and clients at conferences and events;
- Limited travel within the U.S. as health and safety guidelines allow.
Nice to have:
- Bachelor’s degree (No Master’s-level or PhD-level candidates, please.)
- 1-2 years work, volunteer, and/or internship experience (including summer internships, research, and work-study programs); recent and new graduates welcome!
- Commitment to advancing health and racial equity
- Interest in domestic public health and health policy, particularly in California
- Excellent writing skills and ability to communicate to diverse audiences on a variety of platforms
- Strong attention to detail, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to conduct and synthesize online research from multiple sources
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple work streams with minimal supervision
- Ability to provide and appropriately prioritize administrative support for projects and office operations alongside research, writing, and communication work
- Proficient in MS Office programs (including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and Google products (Drive, Gmail, Docs)
- Ability to quickly learn new technology platforms (Zoom, Slack, Mural, etc.)
If imposter syndrome is creeping in we urge you to apply anyway!Application Process:
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis
- Graphic design skills or data visualization
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Proficiency with website content management (Drupal) or email marketing platforms (MailChimp)
- Proficiency in languages other than English
- Qualified applicants will be contacted within three weeks of applying to schedule a 20 minute phone screen.
- Selected candidates will take part in a one-hour interview with two members of the JSI CA team.
- Candidates selected to advance will participate in a second, 90-minute interview with 4-5 JSI CA team members. This interview will include a brief case study, and candidates will be asked to submit writing samples at this stage.
- Final candidates will meet with the Director of JSI CA and have their references checked.
Please visit https://careers.jsi.com/JSIInternet/Careers/jobdescription.cfm?id=141827&intern=0 to apply.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
John Snow, Inc., and our nonprofit JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., are public health management consulting and research organizations dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. Our mission is to improve the health of underserved people and communities and to provide a place where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause.Our sis...