Job was saved successfully.
Job was removed from Saved Jobs.
Who we are:
John Snow, Inc. (JSI), a leading public health research and consulting organization dedicated to advancing the health of individuals and communities, is seeking an experienced public health professional to join our energetic and collaborative Bay Area-based California team as a Consultant. This position will be responsible for advancing a growing portfolio of U.S.-based projects focused on collaboration and collective action across primary care and behavioral health at the local, state and national levels; public health and health care initiatives that challenge the status quo to advance equity; training and technical assistance for safety-net organizations; and applied research to build the evidence-base for emerging areas in public health. JSI projects span a wide variety of topics including: primary care/behavioral health integration; strategies to advance health and racial equity including addressing social determinants of health; homelessness; women’s health; maternal and child health; HIV; payment reform and Medicaid policy; and multisector approaches to advancing population health.
How we work:
We pride ourselves on being a workplace where people from a wide variety of lived experiences have the freedom to pursue their passions and take an active part in shaping the future of our work. We have a bias toward action: We do research with the explicit intent of influencing policy change and changes in practice and have results to show it. We understand that the public health field needs to reflect the diversity of our communities and are committed to building a diverse, and inclusive team.
Our office culture is strong—we care about each other as coworkers and as individuals and strive to extend flexibility to staff so that they can manage life, while still meeting the demands of the job. We are committed to each others' success and view performance evaluations as collaborative experiences for growth and development. When we can gather in person we hold weekly staff lunches; host our partners, friends, and families at the office; and make sure to make time for the occasional fun staff outing.
JSI is committed to the safety of our staff and to facilitating connection and community with one another. We are transitioning into a hybrid work environment in which all JSI CA staff work from the office on Wednesdays, and an additional 1-2 days per week of each staff members’ choosing. All other days staff may choose to work in the office or remotely. Given the constantly changing environment, this arrangement may be adjusted over time as needed.
About the role:
We are hiring a full-time Consultant to join our California team, based in Berkeley. For this role, we’re looking for someone who is a creative problem solver, dedicated to high quality work products, able to quickly pivot in changing environments, comfortable with ambiguity, and committed to advancing innovative approaches to improving health and racial equity. Our office is small and our team works closely together: all staff members work across multiple projects simultaneously with a high-level of individual accountability. We strive to balance rigorous approaches with timely and imaginative execution.
The Consultant will support numerous projects within the JSI CA portfolio, depending on the Consultant’s interests and skills, as well as project needs. The Consultant will also have the opportunity to expand JSI’s portfolio—and shape the future of our office—through new business development.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis: Apply rigorous analytic thinking and creativity to the collection and interpretation of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Development of deliverables: Working as a key member of a collaborative team, develop project deliverables including grantee spotlights; blogs and commentaries; infographics and tools; policy analysis; and in-person and web-based convenings and presentations.
- Facilitation: Facilitate engaging meetings with clients, partners, and project stakeholders. Develop productive partnerships with other collaborating organizations, grantees, and stakeholders. This includes: generating agendas and action items; planning activities to foster relationship-building, being sensitive to the participant experience (especially in Zoomlandia!).
- Communication: Interface with clients, partners, grantees, and other external stakeholders to gather data, share project updates, collect feedback, and share findings and deliverables.
- Business development: Actively contribute to business development through proposal writing, development of relationships with potential clients, and generation of new project opportunities.
- Internal learning and development: Contribute to California office team professional development and social cohesion including facilitating sessions on racial equity (a shared responsibility in our office).
- Other: Perform other tasks as needed.
Nice to have:
- MPH, MPP, MBA, MS, MPA, or related degree; minimum of 2 years of work experience in public health, health care, and/or safety-net improvement projects.
- Commitment to advancing health and racial equity
- Demonstrated skills in project management including establishing program processes and protocols, managing timelines and budgets, supporting cross-functional teams, and developing relationships through effective communication
- Strong communication skills as demonstrated by organized and clear written deliverables and ability to tailor writing to different audiences.
- Experience conducting qualitative research (focus groups, interviews, contextual inquiries) and/or quantitative research (surveys, statistical analysis)
- Ability to create welcoming structured spaces for meetings and group work, virtually and in-person. This includes the ability to create and execute on realistic agendas and meeting outcomes, lead creative icebreakers, and adjust meeting pace and goals in real time.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Google products (Drive, Calendar, Documents, etc.)
- Ability to travel in California and nationally as health and safety guidelines allow.
If imposter syndrome is creeping in we urge you to apply anyway!In the first 3 months as a consultant, you will:
- Strong understanding of public health and healthcare transformation landscape in California, including policy initiatives and stakeholder groups
- Familiarity with peer learning collaboratives
- Proficiency in languages other than English
- Familiarity with statistical applications such as SAS, Stata, R and/or SPSS and/or graphic design skills
In 6 months, you will:
- Learn about JSI’s model, including JSI’s business development practices, internal systems, and cross-office structure and collaboration
- Gain an understanding of JSI CA’s project portfolio
- Help with discrete research, writing, and planning tasks on existing projects
- Understand JSI California’s work to pursue racial and health equity internally and externally
This position has an annual salary range of $75,600-$89,200, depending on years of experience. JSI offers competitive benefits including health insurance, dental, vision, and a 401k with a company match.
- Work on multiple projects with a mix of JSI CA staff members
- Support business development efforts through proposal writing and coordination
Please go to https://careers.jsi.com/JSIInternet/Careers/jobdescription.cfm?id=141867&intern=0 to apply.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
John Snow, Inc., and our nonprofit JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., are public health management consulting and research organizations dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. Our mission is to improve the health of underserved people and communities and to provide a place where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause.Our sis...