At JSI and World Education, we recognize the importance of equity and diversity as we work to improve the health, education, and well-being of people and communities around the globe.
We have an exciting opportunity for a senior human resources leader who cares deeply about equity, diversity, and inclusion and who wants to have a positive impact on a global scale. We are looking for a committed, forward-thinking professional who will work with the Director of Human Resources in managing and executing our equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives.
As the Senior Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Specialist, you will join the human resources team at JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (R&T), and John Snow, Inc. (JSI), two global public health organizations, and World Education, Inc., an affiliate working to improve lives through education around the world. JSI/WEI are serious about the work we do globally and in the United States to improve health and education equity, and health and education outcomes. And we are serious about refining our strong and successful organizational culture to be actively anti-racist. The Sr. EDI/HR Specialist will be an important part of that commitment.
You will be responsible for developing and implementing our diversity initiatives and strategy to attract, hire, and maintain an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace, with a portfolio that includes other senior level human resource functions. Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, you will shepherd and strengthen our equity and inclusion efforts and have an opportunity to redefine the way we recruit for talent as we move into the next evolution of our organizations.
The ideal candidate for this role will be a self-starter who collaborates with organization leaders and leads by example, acting as a role model for the established and developed policies, specifically as they relate to EDI. While working to develop the next generation of company leaders, this individual will simultaneously build internal staff morale and loyalty, along with building the effectiveness of teams through collaboration and communication. This position will be based in either the Boston, MA or Arlington, VA offices.
- Partner with the senior leadership team to understand and execute the organizations’ human resource and EDI strategy and guiding principles, as they relate to recruitment, retention, compensation practices, organizational policy, work plans (inclusive of budgets), and more.
- Lead efforts that drive the development and implementation of corporate policies and strategies to promote EDI throughout the employment cycle, with an initial focus on recruitment to establish more equitable, fair, and open hiring and promotion practices.
- Participate in the development and tracking of accountability measures that promote a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace; support the collection, and analysis and use of regular internal data points that provide information on EDI across the organizations as a whole and within divisions.
- Support and provide input to HR team, management, and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations.
- Identify training needs and recruit appropriate training facilitators for JSI/WEI staff on EDI and HR related issues. Promote staff development by researching opportunities and implementing learning programs and priority initiatives for coaching, mentoring, and professional growth.
- Coordinate the development of training and materials to equip staff with the knowledge and skills needed to attract and retain a diverse workforce and develop racial equity fluency among all staff.
- Analyze trends in compensation and benefits; researches and proposes competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent.
- Under the direction of the Director of HR, provide support for the management and execution of EDI-related incidents reported through JSI/WEI’s case management system, and help ensure appropriate response, remedial actions and training for all staff involved.
- In collaboration with others, serve as a resource to work with the internal communications team to develop EDI content for the JSI/WEI websites.
- Attend EDI-related meetings, workshops and conferences and report out accordingly.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommend best practices; review policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, EDI, and employment law and share relevant changes with senior management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- A minimum of 8 years of human resource management.
- Experience working with organization(s) on their EDI journey.
- Strong, innovative facilitation skills and demonstrated ability to facilitate transformative conversations around racial equity with diverse stakeholders.
- A firm understanding of HR policies and procedures and incorporation of diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent adaptive leadership and skilled conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Familiarity with employment-related laws and regulations working for a national organization, as well as an understanding of developing and executing EDI and Affirmative Action Plans.
- USG contracting and foundation experience is desirable but not required.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP, highly desired.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please apply via our Careers Portal: Sr. EDI/HR Specialist