Stand For Schools, a leader in public education advocacy in Nebraska, is seeking an experienced nonprofit and policy professional as its next Executive Director.
Stand For Schools is a Nebraska-based nonprofit dedicated to the state’s ongoing tradition of public school excellence. They support policies that will further strengthen public schools and allow every Nebraskan to develop the skills they need to thrive.
Through community engagement, proven communications strategies, and legislative advocacy, the goal of Stand For Schools is to help public schools serve all students better. They oppose harmful privatization measures like charters and vouchers. They also advocate for evidence-based policies that reduce the opportunity gap and ensure schools have the staff, resources, and funding they need to support every student at every stage of their development.
Stand For Schools was founded in 2016 and has established a reputation across Nebraska as a nonpartisan, dependable source of evidence-based information on protecting public schools. Stand For Schools has successfully kept privatization out of Nebraska. Only one other state can claim this. They do this by bringing the voices of all stakeholders to the table - administrators, teachers, and parents, as well as by keeping state senators accountable through votes and decisions they make regarding public schools. They have also built relationships with additional stakeholders such as faith leaders and diverse community leaders and provided training on TEEOSA to further protect public schools and their funding.
Organization Structure and Finances:
The Executive Director reports to a five-member Board of Directors with significant knowledge of K-12 public policy.
To date, the organization has been led by its founder, who built an initial framework and strong reputation for the organization. The new Executive Director will have the opportunity to move the organization into the next phase of its maturity.
Stand For Schools has an operating budget of approximately $365,000. It has co-working space in both Lincoln and Omaha as well as opportunities for staff to work remotely.
Two additional staff positions support the work of Stand For Schools - a Deputy Director and a Director of Communications & Outreach. The staff culture allows for flexibility and autonomy, respecting the professional skill set of current staff.
Position Priorities for the First 18-24 Months:
- Build on the founder-led startup roots of Stand For Schools to develop a mature, structured organization, including:
- Continue revenue growth and diversification for long-term financial sustainability
- Collaborate with board leadership to strengthen and grow the board in size, diversity, and influence
- Build the staff as funding allows to increase the organization’s advocacy.
- Build relationships with Stand For Schools’ stakeholders, including coalition partners, donors, and prospective board members, and continue to grow the network for fundraising, board expansion, and outreach. Learn who the players are and how to work effectively with each person/group to build short and long-term successes toward the organization’s policy goals.
- Strengthen the organization’s standing as a public K-12 educational policy expert and advance a strong communications and grassroots and grass-tops organizing strategy to achieve significant wins in protecting and strengthening public K-12 education.
- Advocate to improve equity and close opportunity gaps within public education.
- Significant experience in legislative and public policy, a collaborative track record, and the ability to work with people of all political affiliations and backgrounds, who knows when to compromise and when to hold the line.
- A track record of success managing people and an organization - someone who can give the organization a clear, effective structure and support and empower the staff as they grow. Five years’ progressively responsible experience in nonprofit management and leadership preferred.
- Strong communicator and writer, good public speaker, and effective organizational spokesperson who is credible at providing testimony at public hearings.
- Experience and successful track record in fundraising and maintaining donor relationships.
- Good listener who can also help others to understand and be as supportive as possible of the positions of Stand For Schools.
- A passion for protecting public K-12 education in Nebraska.
- Experience and skills leading diverse coalitions and/or initiatives, including implementing strategies for grassroots and grass-tops organizing.
- Strong interpersonal skills; builds relationships quickly and respects others.
- Understanding of Nebraska’s unique unicameral legislative structure and statewide political environment or willingness to learn if the experience is from outside Nebraska.
- Deep appreciation for diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. Lived experience is especially helpful.
- Ability to travel locally and statewide as needed.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Willing to live within commuting distance of the state capitol.
$100,000 - $125,000 depending on experience.
Benefits include 85% of the cost for medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums for the employee, IRA with contributions matched up to 3% of annual salary, 5 days of paid leave at the end of the legislative session, and 20 additional days of paid time off per year.
To apply, interested candidates should email their cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail applications with a cover letter are required.
All applications will remain confidential.