Director, International Communications
Up to $160,000 • yearly
JSI and World Education
The director, international communications is responsible for development and implementation of JSI’s International Division communications strategy; determining how projects communicate at the country and global levels; supporting business development for key proposals; and guiding and coordinating country-based communicators. This position will collaborate closely with the U.S. division director and report to the senior director, communications and operations.
- Work with senior leaders and communications and technical staff to create and manage an integrated communications strategy to position JSI and World Education as leading organizations working internationally in health, education, and social development. Ensure the strategy is mapped to the JSI strategic plan and enterprise-wide communications.
- Support Centers and projects with communications expertise, ensuring a high international profile for their work.
- Provide direction to JSI, World Education, and affiliate organizations’ communications teams to develop and deliver strategic communications plans in line with the JSI brand and messaging, including multi-channel communications campaigns, digital content, external conferences and events, and owned/earned media.
- Support the pursuit of new business, particularly on key global proposals. Work with the director of global business development to ensure JSI external positioning and that proposal teams are optimally staffed with communications expertise.
- Lead and mentor the international communications team in a dynamic and inclusive manner, fostering trust, motivation, and peak performance.
- Develop thought leadership, conduct media outreach, and manage conferences and events, digital content, and crisis communications.
- Manage agency support.
- Ensure that international and U.S. communications are well aligned.
- Stay abreast of competitors’ communication activities and global industry best practices.
- Travel (approx. 20%) internationally to support local programs, conferences, and events.
- A master’s degree in public health, international development, journalism, communications, or a related field preferred.
- 10+ years in a communications and/or marketing role, either in-house or at an agency.
- 5+ years building and mentoring a team of communications specialists. Proven commitment to creating a learning environment and fostering a culture of collaboration, trust, and inclusion.
- Proven planning, writing, editing, and material production experience (e.g., newsletters, press releases, annual reports, presentations, speeches, conferences, videos, websites) and experience with/knowledge of social media content and community management.
- Experience working with nonprofit/mission-based organizations, in global public health, and for organizations with global reach.
- Experience delivering results in a highly decentralized, matrixed professional environment.
- Deep knowledge of and experience working with top global health funders, including USAID and the Gates Foundation, among others.
- Commitment to advancing health and racial equity through internal organizational practices and external work.
- Strategic and analytical thinking, superior problem-solving skills, and ability to execute near-term details with precision while advancing a broader, forward-looking strategy.
- Strong performance accountability and ability to follow through on commitments, maintain confidentiality, and meet deadlines in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent leadership, time management, planning, and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to distill and translate complex concepts across diverse audiences.
This description is not all inclusive. The incumbent will perform other reasonable business-related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other managers when necessary. JSI reserves the right to change duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Please apply via our Careers Portal:
By applying you agree to our Terms of Service