Finance & Operations Manager
$75,000 – $90,000 • yearly
JSI and World Education
The Finance and Operations Manager supports the financial and operations management of assigned projects and/or country offices and ensures that systems, policies, and procedures are in line with organizational standards and in compliance with donor funding requirements. As requested, the FOM provides support to capacity building of finance and operations (F&O) staff and contributes to new business development. The FOM works collaboratively across World Education’s portfolio supporting projects in Asia, Africa, the United States, and other regions as needed.
The FOM is supervised by the Director of Program Finance and Operations. The FOM may supervise staff in the US and in project offices as needed.
- Provide direct support to project staff (US-based and country offices) on financial, operational, and compliance functions. Assist project teams in solving challenges as they arise, with solutions tailored to the project implementation context;
- Ensure compliance with and consistent application of organizational policies and procedures in implementation of all project and country office activities;
- Apply an in-depth understanding of project agreements and approval requirements to ensure compliance with donor requirements;
- Supervise, mentor, and train staff with core finance and operations responsibilities both in the US and country offices, as requested;
- Liaise with Human Resources on issues related to project administration and US-hire personnel management, ensuring that all relevant HR policies and requirements are met;
- As requested, provide HR support with local project staff hiring, salary negotiation and finalization of local hire agreements, and compliance with local labor laws; and
- Serve as signatory on assigned projects as per the signatory policy.
Cross Cutting Support
- As requested, onboard new F&O staff in all areas of Finance & Operations tasks;
- Work with corporate departments on issues related to office administration, IT, compliance and fraud management, accounting, and human resources; and
- Ensure coordination with other projects to ensure consistent standards and shared understanding and application of systems.
- Review of routine financial processes including cash flow and wires, budget and level of effort (billable time) tracking, financial reports and invoices;
- Review supporting documentation for in-country expenses and provide accounting system support for the month-end closing;
- Support preparation and monitoring of project budgets and proactively address any issues with the HQ team and F&O Director(s);
- Prepare and monitor expatriate staff allowances and approve payments;
- Provide support in sub-award/grants management (conducting pre-award assessments/ongoing monitoring, reviewing subagreements and modifications, reviewing grants manuals, approving invoices);
- Provide support to field teams on procurement best practices, resources, and tools;
- Prepare vendor contracts, subcontracts and consulting agreements. Ensure timely submission, review and approval of purchase orders, expenses reports, payments to vendors, consultants, and subcontractors;
- Manage and participate in the start-up and close-out of projects and country offices;
- Prepare proposal budgets and notes that align with the technical narrative, support compilation of additional cost proposal documentation, and review cost proposals before submission to donors; and
- Other division tasks as assigned.
Required Experience: Minimum of five years’ experience providing finance and operations management support for international development projects.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong financial management and budgeting skills;
- Knowledge of international donor rules and regulations (e.g., US government agencies, UN agencies, World Bank, private foundations, and others);
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and problem solve;
- Ability to multitask and manage competing priorities;
- Dynamic team player with strong multicultural communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail;
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel; and
- Willing and able to travel internationally, if needed.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks preferred.
- Experience managing subawards preferred.
- French language skills are a plus.
Please apply via our Careers' Portal:
Apply for Finance & Operations Manager
By applying you agree to our Terms of Service