JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (R&T), and John Snow, Inc. (JSI), are a leading public health research and consulting organization, and World Education, Inc. (WEI), leaders in training and technical assistance in education and health, throughout the US and around the globe. We are seeking a forward thinker and a dynamic change agent to join our HR team, responsible for coordinating and directing the Companies’ equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) initiatives. This highly motivated candidate will also coordinate and direct routine functions of Human Resources (HR) including hiring, administering pay, benefits, and leave, and enforcing company policies and practices. The Sr. HR/EDI Specialist will report to the Director of HR and will be located in either the Boston or DC Office.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with various constituencies to create, update, and rollout our organizational policies, processes, and communications to ensure that they fully reflect JSI/WEI’s guiding EDI principles.
- Participate in the developing and tracking of metrics that promote a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace; support the collection, and analysis and use of regular internal data points that provide information on EDI across the organization as a whole and within divisions.
- Participate in the development and implementation of corporate policies and strategies that promote EDI as it relates to recruitment, in hiring and promotions and fairness in staff management and promotions.
- Recruit appropriate training facilitators for JSI/WEI staff on EDI-related issues.
- Coordinate the development of training materials to equip staff with the knowledge and skills needed to attract and retain a diverse workforce.
- In conjunction with Senior Leadership and the Director of HR, assist with the development, management and implementation of an annual EDI/HR Work plan and budget.
- Under the direction of the Director of HR, provide support for the management and execution of EDI-related incidents reported through JSI/WEI’s case management system, and help ensure appropriate response, remedial actions and training for all staff involved.
- Along with others, serve as a resource to work with the internal communications team to develop EDI content for the JSI/WEI websites.
- Attend EDI-related meetings, workshops and conferences and report out accordingly. Promote staff development by researching and creating opportunities for coaching, mentoring, and professional growth.
Human Resource Duties/Responsibilities:
- Partner with the Senior Leadership team to understand and execute the organizations’ human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future needs, recruiting, and retention.
- Support and provide input to HR team, management, and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations.
- Analyze trends in compensation and benefits; researches and proposes competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent.
- Create and implement learning programs and priority initiatives that provide internal opportunities for employees.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommend best practices; review policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law and share relevant changes with senior management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- A minimum of 8 years of human resource management; equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives experience required.
- Experience working with organization(s) on their EDI journey.
- Strong, innovative facilitation skills and demonstrated ability to facilitate transformative conversations around racial equity with diverse stakeholders.
- A firm understanding of HR policies and procedures and incorporation of diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent adaptive leadership and skilled conflict resolution and negotiation skills. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Familiarity with employment-related laws and regulations, as well as an understanding of developing and executing EDI and Affirmative Action Plans.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly desired.