This job is archived
OSITION: Manager, Employee Relations
LOCATION: Human Resources
Job Summary: The Employee Relations Manager reports to the Senior Director of Human Resources. This position will manage all employee workplace-related regulatory and compliance matters and collective bargaining protocols and procedures.
- Manages employee relations issues including but not limited to performance, attendance, formal and informal grievances, and workplace environment issues. Advises management in approaches to resolve workplace issues.
- Identifies, analyzes and provides effective conflict resolution practices which may include complex employee relations issues with potential legal ramifications and mediations. Collaborates with General Counsel’s Office as appropriate.
- Partner to address gaps in performance including working with the departments to draft performance improvement plans, verbal/written warnings, and facilitating the necessary communications to drive an effective outcome.
- Conducts timely incident and disciplinary investigations in response to complaints involving reported employee workplace behavior issues which may result in progressive discipline. Drafts investigative reports based on findings related to workplace behavior.
- Ensures that all grievance and disciplinary matters are carried out in conjunction with standard guidelines, procedures and collective bargaining agreements.
- Manage, oversee and administer all aspects of employee requests for reasonable accommodations. Serves as the University’s main point of contact for employees in the interactive dialogue process and recommends an appropriate University response. Tracks all requests and monitors all related information and interactions.
- Serves as a Deputy Title IX Coordinator. Work collaboratively with the Title IX coordinator and other deputy coordinators, to manage the University’s process and procedures for responding to claims involving Title IX matters impacting employees. Prepare timely and thorough supportive documentation, including intake and investigative notes, correspondences, evidence and final reports.
- Analyze and track employee relation trends, including leading practices, to proactively create a positive University culture and build manager capabilities.
- Keeps abreast of current human resources principles and practices, laws and regulations (ADA, EEOC, Title IX, etc.) and provides procedural information to departments regarding general rules and principles.
- Ensure and practice strict confidentiality of all human resources related matters including but not limited to, employee relations, conduct, and disciplinary actions for full and part time staff, faculty, and managers.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional-level Human Resources experience, with demonstrated knowledge of the employee and labor relations function.
- Working knowledge of Human Resource policies, employee relations practices and federal and state regulations.
- Ability to continuously seek quality service and process improvements in order to support a mission and strategic vision.
- Must be able to communicate and interact with, as well as support effective partnerships with peers, subordinates, and diverse constituencies.
- Ability to demonstrate effective listening and investigatory skills with the ability to synthesize data, identify root problems and causes, alternate courses of action and provide guidance and recommendations based upon all available facts.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, & Outlook) and practical experience with HRIS systems.
Education: Bachelor's degree or higher in a related field (Human Resources, Business Administration)
- SHRM-SCP/SPHR certification preferred.
- Prior experience in public sector, or higher education, unionized civil service setting.
- Experience with PeopleSoft HCM tools.
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.
Cut-Off Date for Filing Applications: OPEN UNTIL FILLED