Ball State University welcomes applications for a Senior Benefits Specialist.
At Ball State University, Inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
Position Function: Develop and deliver initiatives to engage employees and promote effective consumerism of benefit programs. Assist with the administration and analysis of Ball State University’s employee benefits and retirement programs. This position will research, analyze, and administer the university’s health insurance and retirement plan benefits to include but not limited to, health/life/dental/disability insurance, retiree health insurance, retirement plan administration, benefit orientation, open enrollment, phased retirement program, and maintain benefits compliance. Audit and reconcile benefits data to ensure compliance with internal policies and applicable benefits legislation.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or an equivalent combination of experience and education. At least three years of related experience with benefits and retirement. Knowledge of all federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements affecting employee benefit programs, including but not limited to ERISA, COBRA, PPACA, IRS regulations, and Department of Labor requirements; working knowledge of benefit plans and terminology, including consumer-driven benefit programs; proficient knowledge of Microsoft Suite with advanced skill in Excel; ability to communicate effectively and develop positive working relationships with both internal and external partners and customers; strong analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills; ability to exercise sound judgment, set priorities, implement and administer effectively in all areas of accountability; ability and commitment to creating a culture of service excellence; ability to manage several projects simultaneously and work under tight timelines; high degree of accuracy; ability to pay close attention to detail.
Human Resources Expertise
- Serves as the HR subject matter expert to managers
- Applies and interprets policies and procedures across organization
- Applies compliance knowledge to protect organization
- Implements solutions within designated area of responsibility
- Seeks ways to proactively improve organizational processes and outcomes
- Applies experience and expertise to research solutions
- Reports trends to senior leadership
- Recommends policy changes to support business needs
- Behaves in a manner consistent with the difficult decisions made by management.
- Enforces policies consistently & advocates for exceptions when necessary.
- Maintains employee confidentiality throughout appropriate business processes.
- Takes immediate and appropriate action regarding reports of unethical behavior or conflicts of interests.
Leadership & Navigation
- Demonstrates flexibility, adaptability and initiative.
- Listens actively to identify potential challenges or solutions.
- Seeks new ways to improve and recommends improvements to HR processes, transactions & outcomes.
- Identifies inefficiencies and provides process improvement recommendations.
- Develops knowledge of HR metrics.
- Develops familiarly with business terms and acronyms.
- Develops HR and business process improvement solutions.
- Gathers and analyzes facts and data for business solutions.
- Provides guidance to managers regarding HR practices.
- Maintains objectivity during critical evaluation process.
- Engages in preliminary analysis of collected data and reports findings to senior HR staff.
- Develops knowledge in the use of data, evidence-based research, benchmarks, HR and business metrics to facilitate decision- making.
- Listens actively to understand stakeholder concerns at the operational level.
- Demonstrates support for HR organizational initiatives in communication with stakeholders.
- Notifies upper management of appropriate issues or concerns.
- Assists with implementation of diversity/culture programs.
- Employs cultural sensitivity in communicating with stakeholders.
- Demonstrates willingness to develop and grow understanding of global and cultural effectiveness
- Listens effectively to potential issues before reacting with solutions.
- Develops a network of contacts both within the organization and with external partners serving the organization.
- Develops a strong and positive reputation both internally and externally as a neutral and approachable HR representative.
Candidates for searches must have current authorization to be employed in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution in accounting, finance, human resources, management, business administration, or related field. Five years of professional level human resources experience with at least three years of insurance and/or retirement plan administration experience. Knowledge of 403(b), PERF and TRF retirement plan administration and experience managing retirement plans. Professional certification in pension fund management or benefits administration (i.e., RPA or CEBS designation).
Apply online at: https://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/29771. Include the following documents with your application: resume and cover letter addressed to Angie Gregory. The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earned is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will be accepted through April 11, 2022.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, on an attractive campus 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students enroll in one of eight academic colleges that offer 120 undergraduate programs. We offer more than 140 master’s, doctoral, certificate, and specialist degrees, with many of them ranking among the best in the nation. Ball State aspires to be the model of the most student-centered and community-engaged of the 21st century public research universities, transforming entrepreneurial learners into impactful leaders – committed to improving the quality of life for all.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit: