Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
Director, Institutional Research and Academic Effectiveness
Posting Number 00554
The Director of Institutional Research and Academic Effectiveness (IRAE) will be responsible for the leadership and development of a comprehensive institutional research program that will support the University’s mission and strategic initiatives. Under the guidance of the University Provost, the Director will facilitate evidence-based decision-making by planning, developing and implementing hands-on data analysis, interpretation of analysis, and preparation of reports for both internal and external use and distribution. Translation of data into usable information for the University community is a key function for this position. The Director will provide information and analytic support to the University’s administration and academic decision makers in order to facilitate strategic planning, policymaking, resource allocations, enrollment projections, and other processes requiring sound strategic analysis. The Director will be responsible for supporting the development and continued refinement of the University’s Academic and Strategic Plans. The Director will manage- and provide- data in support of all accreditation exercises. The Director of IRAE will report directly to the University Provost.
Information and Analysis:
- Provides reliable, relevant, and quality data, analysis, information and recommendations to facilitate planning, budgeting, accountability, program evaluation, and development of policy decisions
- Reports institutional data required by external agencies U.S. Department of Education and accrediting agencies or data requested by national, state, or local agencies; private sector firms; funders; other educational institutions; college guidebooks; and other external collectors of university data. Ensures that reports meet stated requirements and are consistent with current standard practices
- Conducts a regular schedule of surveys, analyzes and prepares reports on the surveys, and maintains a comparative and trend file of survey data
- Conducts and analyzes needs assessments and participates in determining the on-going priorities for institutional planning
- Identifies emerging issues, challenges and opportunities, anticipating questions through review of data, information, and research and policy studies, including those related to institutional, state, national, conversations around higher education and advises the Provost, President, and senior administration accordingly
- Monitors data from peer institutions; maintain benchmark data and distribute relevant information to appropriate departments and offices
- Provides technical expertise and consultation regarding college planning, research, analysis, grant development, and reporting
- Recommends and establishes the methods and resources to monitor and implement departmental goals and objectives, both for short term and long-range planning
- Recommends strategies to facilitate organizational change when indicated by evaluation results
Data Development, Management, and Dissemination:
- Identifies primary institutional source data and external local, state, and national demographic data to be used in research projects, benchmarking, and reports in consultation with information systems and the other university staff
- Assists in the design and development of database repository, fact book, and university metrics for educational accountability
- Provides leadership for the design, development, and maintenance of a system of longitudinal databases containing data on students and employees, faculty and academic programs, and space and facilities
- Oversees the development and maintenance of a data repository for research, planning, and development
- Maintain databases necessary for planning and forecasting and evaluating institutional growth, effectiveness, long range planning, and policy
- Provides reports on annual Key Performance Indicators to university leadership
- Assists academic units with information needs for accreditation visits, program evaluation, student outcomes assessment efforts, and in conducting follow up studies of students
- Work to enhance effective data and information flow between the schools/colleges, the executive offices and partnering with other offices, faculty, and staff to enhance University wide data collection
- Responsible for the coordination and preparation of, and serving as a clearinghouse for, all required reports for state, federal and external agencies
- Designs, develops, and maintains websites to publish institutional data for the general public and via intranet for the internal campus community
- Ensures compliance on privacy and security and ethical issues such as determining what data and information should be used for various purposes, and whether interpretations are correct and appropriately used
- Leads and supervises IRAE staff members
Institutional Effectiveness and Project Implementation:
- Supports institutional planning process; develops and monitors performance indicators for strategic initiatives; designs, maintains, and updates the Strategic Directions website; prepares updates for the Board of Trustees and provides other documentation as requested; monitors external factors that may affect achievement of university goals and initiatives
- Assists project/program directors to implement projects and acquire resources for self-sufficiency, including educating information producers, users and consumers on the use of data, analysis, and information to inform decision-making
- Assists, where appropriate, in the planning and development of educational specifications for physical facilities for new construction and/or remodeling
- Coordinates a systematic and integrated institutional planning process that is aligned with WASC accreditation and other planning and accountability requirements as part of an institutional effectiveness program
- Coordinates the ongoing development and implementation of the University’s accountability report, strategic and academic plans
- Guides the implementation of university wide strategic initiatives as directed by the Provost
- Keep abreast of the educational material, equipment, and support services required to maintain standards, and to develop new programs
- Supervise direct reports and provide leadership to teams and committees
- Direct independent contractors and vendors
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Work well with diverse communities.
- Assign, schedule and follow up work activities
- Monitor workloads/levels
- Performance counsel/coach
- Evaluate performance; review work
- Master’s degree from an accredited university required in educational research, or a quantitative research- oriented discipline i.e., education, social sciences, public health, business or related field required. Terminal Degree preferred.
- Five or more years of related work experience in assessment, institutional research, institutional effectiveness, research design, and implementation in a higher education setting, preferably with skills in predictive analytics for health professions education
- Extensive experience in preparing various accreditation reports with regional and national agencies
- Experience producing year-round IPEDS (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System) reporting
- Working knowledge of SQL Server databases and data pipeline processing
- Advanced knowledge of data visualization (preferably via Power-BI) to design, enhance, and develop visualized reports in various platforms, including but not limited to employing interactive dashboards.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with higher education enterprise data systems and the ability to extract data and translate into useful academic reports
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook)
- Advanced proficiency in statistical analysis package such as SPSS, SAS, R, etc.
- Statistical and research methodologies.
- Strong interpersonal, administrative and communications skills
- Knowledge of higher education administration and accreditation
- Facility with computer systems, databases, and statistical analysis tools
- Excellent planning and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to design, organize, and analyzes complex programs and workflow processes.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and tasks concurrently while tracking and meeting deadlines
- Strong writing and document assessment abilities, with demonstrated verbal, presentation, and facilitation skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3946
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer