Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies
Posting Number 00527
Reporting to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, the Dean is responsible for development and oversight of academic policies and procedures pertaining to students, and for the provision of academic support services. The Dean will be a key member of the academic affairs executive leadership team, and will chair university-wide curriculum, program review, commencement, and student appeals committees. The Dean has primary responsibility for general education programming, and will directly manage the general studies curriculum, adjunct faculty, and support staff. The Dean also leads delivery of academic support services, by directly supervising learning specialists, academic counselors, and retention and disability coordinators, and by coordinating provision of academic advising, tutoring, and learning remediation services. The Dean exercises leadership in implementation of the CDU Advantage, a unique curricular experience for all students across the University.
The Dean will design and direct the evolution of the division of undergraduate and graduate studies commensurate with a growing student population, and will collaborate closely with academic deans and program leadership across the institution in support of student recruitment, retention, and timely degree completion. The Dean also works in concert with senior research officers and faculty to provide interdisciplinary training and sponsored research opportunities for both undergraduates and graduate students. Consistent with the mission of the University, the Dean must ensure that all students are prepared to become health profession leaders dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved communities.
- Provide strategic leadership of undergraduate and graduate studies academic programming, and manage and coordinate the provision of academic support services across the institution.
- Chair central curriculum, program review, and academic appeals committees. Collaborate with academic deans and faculty leadership to support student recruitment, retention, and timely degree completion.
- Primarily and independently responsible for supervising, training, and evaluating staff in the areas of general studies administration and academic support services.
- Oversee academic policies and procedures pertaining to students. Work cross-functionally to establish consistent standards and appropriate due process across all academic programs.
- Manage the general studies curriculum, adjunct faculty, and articulation agreements. Supervise transfer, advanced placement, placement testing, and challenge exam credit processes.
- Support alignment and certify CDU Advantage courses and curricular elements, especially for general education requirements.
- Ensure students fulfill general studies requirements for graduation clearance. Facilitate degree conferral approval processes and lead design and delivery of commencement and other academic ceremonies.
- Oversee grade and academic standing reviews and processing of academic petitions and appeals. Preside at academic grievance hearings and ensure integrity of student due process.
- Lead delivery of academic support services, including advising and tutoring, and study skill and academic success workshops. Organize quality improvement review and progress of academic support services.
- Support students who are academically at risk and students with learning disabilities. Supervise the disability services coordinator, and serve as a resource on ADA regulatory issues.
- Lead planning and provision of campus-wide academic ceremonies, including for student orientations, commencement, and academic and service excellence awards.
- Design and oversee a first-year experience program. Establish administrative and funding mechanisms to support student research, clinical, and community service learning.
- Doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- A minimum of eight years of teaching and administrative experience in higher education, with a record of scholarly achievement and professional recognition consistent with the rank of associate or full professor.
- Three or more years of experience as an associate dean, program director, department chair, or equivalent, preferably at a health professions university.
- Experience working collaboratively in an environment of shared governance. Demonstrated ability to forge mutually respectful relationships across organizational lines. Leadership experience in faculty governance preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working across disciplines and knowledge of traditional fields represented within general studies programs. Considerable experience with undergraduate education, curriculum, programs and policy.
- Evidence of success in establishing collaborative relationships around research efforts or other types of scientific and scholarly initiatives within academic divisions or across the colleges and schools of a university.
- Recognized expertise in higher education administration. Thorough knowledge of higher education structures, practices, and procedures related to the administration of undergraduate and graduate education programs.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
- Ability to work well with university personnel at all levels, including student staff, and to relate effectively to people of diverse backgrounds with understanding and respect for individual and cultural differences.
- Demonstrated administrative acumen and nimbleness regarding the strategic and financial implications of decisions.
- Demonstrated style of leadership and management that is collaborative, inclusive and empowers others to succeed, fosters respect, builds pride in the accomplishment of shared goals, and feeds upon two-way communication.
- Professional competence as an educator and administrator as evidenced by personal growth and development, and recognition by professional colleagues.
- After hours, weekend hours, and travel will be required on occasion.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3765
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer