Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU) is a premier mission-driven university dedicated to transforming the lives of underserved communities through health professions education, clinical service, biomedical research and compassionate patient care. Over 80 percent of CDU students and over 71 percent of CDU faculty are from communities of color. We are committed to cultivating diverse health professional leaders who are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underrepresented groups impacted by health disparities not only in South Los Angeles, but around the world.
Position Number: PS02152
Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science, Department of Psychiatry is seeking a founding Training Director to provide professional expertise and leadership in the development of a new Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship, with a special focus on developmental trauma in BIPOC. This is an administrative / educator position with some direct clinical care responsibilities. Direct clinical services will be delivered at an affiliated CDU clinical partner site.
The Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Training Director (CAPF-TD) must commit at least 75% effort to the administrative and educational component of the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Training Program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Program Development, Resident Supervision, Teaching, and Scholarly Activity:
- Provide administrative leadership and direction to the program
• He/she is responsible for the overall administration of the training program, including recruitment, the development of standards for admission to the program, and selection of residents
• Working in conjunction with other members of the faculty, the Training Director is responsible for establishing the goals and objectives of the training program and for monitoring the quality and content of the clinical and didactic curriculum.
• The CAPF-TD is responsible for evaluating the performance and progress of the fellows as well as working with faculty in determining standards for recommending graduation from the program
• Consults and collaborates with the Director of the General Psychiatry Residency Training Program in the teaching of child and adolescent psychiatry to the general psychiatry residents
• He/she also collaborates with the Director of Undergraduate Medical Education in developing programs in child and adolescent psychiatry for medical students
• Monitors the ACGME/RRC Program Requirements for Residency Education in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and ensures that the program is compliant with these requirements
• As a member of the faculty, the CAPF-TD teaches and supervises both medical students and residents Develop, revise and maintain curriculum. This curriculum must be consistent with California State Office of State Health Policy and Development requirements, and compliant with ACGME standards for accreditation
• Provide supervision and oversight of support staff
• Ensure the Annual Program Evaluation with the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education WebAds are updated
• Manage resident performance improvement plans, coaching, remediation, and disciplinary activities as needed
• Oversee and teach didactics curriculum to residents
PROGRAM OBJECTIVES AND GOALS:
- The CAPF-TD is responsible for working with the Program Manager / Curriculum Specialist to develop the goals and objectives of the training program and create a written manual outlining such goals, along with the content of the clinical and didactic curriculum
• This curriculum must be consistent with California State Office of State Health Policy and Development requirements, and compliant with ACGME standards for accreditation
POLICY AND PROCEDURE DEVELOPMENT:
The CAPF-TD is responsible for working with the GME office, faculty, staff, and residents in the Department of Psychiatry to develop a policies and procedures manual for the conduct of the training program. These policies and procedures must be in compliance with ACGME requirements and consistent with the sponsoring institution’s policies and procedures, particularly in so far as due process procedures for disciplinary actions are concerned. The manual must be reviewed annually and revised to insure compliance with ACGME requirements. The manual must be distributed at the beginning of each academic year to all residents.
Required Qualifications :
* MD degree from an accredited medical institution
* Completed an ACGME accredited residency in psychiatry and in child and adolescent psychiatry
* Licensed or be eligible for an unrestricted license to practice medicine in California
* ABPN Certification in Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), and Child Psychiatry
* Prior experience as program director or associate training director highly desirable
* Experience teaching in an approved ACGME Psychiatry Residency or Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Program with engagement in supervision, mentoring, and administration
* Experience with scholarly activities such as peer-reviewed publications and grant writing skill Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Registration
* Qualified to hold a faculty appointment in the Department of Psychiatry and appropriate staff appointment.
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Commitment to social justice and values-driven curricula
* Ability to collaborate effectively with administration, staff, peers, and full-time and community-based faculty
* Strong verbal/written communication skills.
* Ability to collect and manage data to track performance outcomes to ensure comparable educational experiences.
* Strong collaboration, team building, and conflict resolution skills.
* Work with Program Director, Department Chair, and staff to prioritize resources necessary for program support
* Passion for and commitment to graduate medical education for purposes of optimizing patient outcomes, particularly vulnerable and marginalized patient populations
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively in complex interdisciplinary and interprofessional settings
* Strong general computer and organizational skills. Excellent communication skills in English
To apply, please visit: https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/4070
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer