Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
Posting Number 00505
Provide tutoring to enhance students’ academic success in the College of Science and Health (COSH) and School of Nursing (SON). Tutor students in study skills and in subjects related to course requirements. Meet with students in a one-on-one or group tutoring environment to clarify, supplement and enhance course-learning materials. Assist students to develop study skills that will aid in successfully completing course assignments and preparing for examinations. Interface with students, faculty and staff.
- Meet with students on a one-to-one or small-group basis to give learning assistance.
- Maintain a weekly schedule of available hours in the Student Education and Services Center and through the online tutoring services scheduling system for student appointments for tutoring in course content areas and/or learning strategies.
- Support and develop writing skills, strategies, and grammar 101 techniques
- Familiar with referencing styles (APA and MLA)
- Excellent understanding of academic writing such as research and thesis papers in one or more disciplines
- Keep regular and accurate records of tutoring sessions using the required software and/or relevant forms.
- Visit applicable classes at least once to make contact with faculty members and to obtain any necessary course syllabi or materials.
- Attend tutor-training sessions as required by the Learning Specialist or the Dean’s Office.
- Assist with additional duties as needed; for example, organizing materials, performing student data collection and data reporting, or other duties.
- Provide requested reports and/or updates on tutoring.
- Regionally accredited bachelor’s degree or equivalent of combined education; master’s degree is preferred.
- Must be in good academic standing at a regionally accredited college or university.
- Must have completed at least 12-18 units in the assigned content areas.
- Must have a recommendation from a faculty member.
- Completion of the applicable course or courses related to the subject matter with a grade of “B” or above.
- Good English-language communication skills.
- Good interpersonal communication skills and ease in relating to people from varying educational, cultural, and social backgrounds.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Demonstrates and maintains appropriate and professional behavior.
- Demonstrated data base management skills.
- Ability to establish priorities, meet deadlines and attain growth-oriented goals.
- Must possess excellent computer skills and be proficient in MS Windows, Word, Excel, etc.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3614
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer