JOB SUMMARY: Serve as Department Chair of Animal Science and teach Animal Science classes. Additional duties may be assigned, depending on qualifications and experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach 27-30 credit hours (Fall and Spring) for the Animal Science program.
- Serve as Department Chair for Animal Science.
- Advise students in the major.
- Serve on university and other committees as assigned.
- Supervise academic progress of all Livestock Judging members.
- Efficiently manage herds/flocks and coordinate livestock activities at the OPSU school farm using best management practices.
- Maintain an accurate record system for all livestock operations and inventory.
- Recruit students to the College of Agriculture, Science, and Nursing programs and Livestock Judging Team by visiting schools/campuses, attending camps and national livestock shows, and utilizing internet-recruiting initiatives.
- Must have a strong work ethic and lead by example.
- Must be a professional, credible and respected representative of the institution internally and in the community.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to act ethically and socially responsible.
- Must be able to lift more than 50-lb. objects; frequent bending, stooping, and
- Can be exposed to a variety of weather conditions for periods of time. Ability to communicate in a courteous manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College of Agriculture, Science, and Nursing or designee.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES, DEPENDING ON QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Possibly serve as the Livestock Judging Coach and/or Livestock Superintendent
The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The ability to relate with students personally yet maintain professional relationships.
- Valid driver’s license.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Required: Master’s degree required in Animal Science or related field.
- Must have 18 graduate hours in Animal Science or closely related field.
- Preferred: Ph.D preferred
OPSU is an AA/EE/E-Verify employer committed to diversity.
Apply online at: http://www.opsu.edu/Offices/Human_Resources/Job-Listing/?page=details&id=459