|Assistant Professor of Food Science and Nutrition|
Hiring Salary Salary commensurate with education and experience
College of Health Sciences
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
Contact Name Dr. Roseanne Keathley
Huntsville, Texas 77341
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job
The Department/School of Family and Consumer Sciences at Sam Houston State University (SHSU) invites applications from a diverse group of qualified applicants for an Assistant Professor in Food Science & Nutrition beginning Fall 2022. The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences is one of four departments in the College of Health Sciences, and the Food Science and Nutrition (FSN) program is one of four undergraduate programs in the department. Both the undergraduate Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) and the MS in Dietetics programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). The department and FSN programs are housed in the historic three-story Margaret Lea Houston Building. The program occupies the second floor, which includes food science labs, a nutrition assessment center, a counselling office, and a new state of art demonstration kitchen.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include teaching, maintaining a research agenda in food science, nutrition, and/or dietetics, mentoring students, performing university and professional service, and contributing to ongoing program evaluation and improvement. Teaching assignments may include undergraduate and graduate coursework. The successful candidate will be expected to teach both undergraduate and graduate level courses in nutrition, foods, and dietetics. Online teaching experience is desirable.
The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences at SHSU seeks to recruit and retain a diverse faculty. Qualified applicants with experience in diverse settings and/or who demonstrate a commitment to serving diverse student populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Educational Requirements for the Position
Earned Doctorate in Food Science, Nutrition, Dietetics, or related discipline from an accredited institution (with at least 18 graduate hours of coursework in nutrition). ABD considered but must have degree conferred by time of appointment.
Experience Required for the Position
- A demonstrated record of teaching in food science, nutrition, and dietetics, scholarship, and service commensurate with appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor.
- Experience teaching undergraduate and graduate students at the college level.
- Experience in the use of technology in instruction and experience with distance/online education is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations is preferred.
- Experience mentoring students with scholarship/research projects preferred.
Special Instructions Summary
- Cover letter detailing candidate’s interest in the position, teaching experience, research agenda, involvement in service at the community, departmental, university, state or national level, and experience and commitment to working with diverse populations; it is also recommended that a candidate address any experiences related to the preferred criteria listed in the position description.
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.