This job is archived
(Archived) Faculty, Childhood Education and Care (Elementary Education Science Focus), Full-Time, Temporary, Fall 2023
The McKeown School of Education at Salem State University is seeking applicants for a one-year, full-time, temporary faculty position in elementary education beginning Fall 2023. The ideal candidate will have expertise in the foundational knowledge of the vertical progression laid out in the Massachusetts Science Curriculum Framework for PreK-8 and children’s literacy development. We especially encourage candidates demonstrating strong experience centering social justice in their pedagogical practices.
McKeown School seeks faculty members who are dedicated to educational excellence, thrive in a student-centered teaching program, and have a strong interest in preparing a teaching workforce prepared to meet the many challenges of today's PK-12 environment and to support learners in a variety of instructional contexts. Faculty members also serve the department through curriculum development, program evaluation, and policy development and evaluation.
Candidates are required to perform duties in accordance with the MSCA contract. Duties include teaching, advising, and contributions to continuously improve the department and university. The standard teaching load is 12 credit hours per semester.
Assignments may include (but are not limited to) undergraduate and graduate courses in environmental justice, literacy and social justice for licensure candidates in early childhood, elementary, and special education preparation programs; pre-practicum supervision of initial licensure candidates; and supervision of candidates in their student teaching practicum with its associated documentation. The position is subject to available funding.
- Master’s degree in elementary education, curriculum and instruction, literacy, or science education
- Five or more years of experience teaching students from diverse backgrounds, or level-team leadership and/or curriculum supervision in literacy and/or science
- Experience teaching multilingual learners
- An earned doctorate or ABD in elementary education curriculum and instruction, literacy, and/or science education
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Experience using instructional technologies and teaching in multiple modalities (face-to-face, hybrid or partially online, fully online)
- Experience teaching and supervising field learning for undergraduate or graduate students
- Research in and/or experience teaching using culturally sustaining pedagogies/methodologies, or integrating these topics into other courses taught
- Fluency in a language other than English
- As an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Salem State University seeks to enrich the faculty/librarian ranks by actively encouraging candidates whose lived and scholarly experiences directly address issues regarding the health, welfare, and representation of Latinx populations in the United States. Candidates who meet this strongly desired qualification should present documented activities in Latinx-related teaching, scholarship/research, and service, including community-based endeavors in each of these three areas
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach curriculum vitae, cover letter and (unofficial) transcripts.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to a background check.
This position is not eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time and additional applications will not be accepted.