Assistant Professor of Newton Gresham Library (Acquisitions & Serials Librarian)
Sam Houston State University
Department: Newton Gresham Library
Full-Time Tenure Track
Open until filled: Yes
Requisition number: 202300042F
This is a tenure-track faculty position with expectations of librarianship, professional service, and scholarship. The librarianship duties include the following:
- Manage the acquisitions & serials unit of the library which is responsible for purchasing materials for the library collection and managing serials.
- Investigate and manage all new potential acquisitions.
- Coordinate all aspects of resource acquisitions, including overseeing ordering and receiving of library materials in all formats and order types (firm orders, subscriptions, standing orders, and patron driven acquisitions).
- Oversee print serial processes including receiving and binding.
- Directly supervise the Acquisitions Library Associate and Acquisitions & Serials Library Assistant II, and provide functional supervision to other staff as needed.
- Collaborate with library administration and faculty to account for and reconcile the library materials budget with university and library systems used to track the payment of library resources.
- Verify licenses governing the use of continuing resources to meet Texas and University requirements.
- Troubleshooting e-resource access problems related to payment and coverage discrepancies.
Master’s Degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Supervisory experience; commitment to mentoring and development of the team; ability to provide leadership.
- Experience managing organization budgets.
- Experience working with spreadsheets to collect, analyze, and report on data.
- Familiarity communicating with vendors.
- Effective communication, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
Other Requirements for the Position:
Characteristics Duties and Responsibilities:
- Confers with the Director of Library Technical Services and the Executive Director of Library Services about budget availability and priorities. Prepares and updates the library materials budget throughout the year. Oversees the reconciliation of payments between the integrated library system (ILS) acquisitions system and the university financial system. Requests the transfer of money between university accounts as approved by the Director of Library Technical Services, as needed.
- Coordinates all aspects of resource acquisitions, including overseeing ordering and receiving of library materials in all formats and order types – firm orders, subscriptions, standing orders, patron driven acquisitions. Communicates with university budgeting and purchasing offices to ensure the timely acquisition and payment for all library resources. Oversees print serials processes including receiving and binding.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates the work of Acquisitions unit staff (Library Associate for Acquisitions and Library Assistant II for Acquisitions and Serials). Collaborates with Technical Services management team in setting departmental goals, policies, procedures, practices, and workflows. Provides unit leadership to complete them.
- Serves as an Ex Officio member of the Library Collection Development Committee. Investigates potential subscriptions to or purchases of large e-journal packages, e-books or streaming media subscriptions, and patron-driven acquisition services requested by subject selectors. Utilizes vendor subscription management systems and/or communicates with vendors, publishers, and consortia partners to obtain pricing, licensing, accessibility, and other data. Places approved orders with vendors.
- Acts as a liaison between the library, publishers, vendors, and consortia partners in arranging subscriptions to and renewals of consortia e-journal packages.
- Liaises with subject selectors and vendors concerning renewals of serial, e-book, and streaming media subscriptions. Requests usage statistics from appropriate librarians and staff in Technical Services to inform renewal decisions.
- Utilizes the electronic resources management system to record information about serial, e-book, and streaming media subscription orders, licenses, payments, format changes, title changes, cessations, and cancellations. Monitors perpetual access information for serials.
- Coordinates with the Head of Cataloging and Metadata to select appropriate sources and years of access for e-journals in the holding management system and to facilitate cataloging of received orders. Oversees and communicates changes in title lists of large serial packages.
- Assists with troubleshooting e-journal access problems when issues arise from payment or coverage discrepancies and helps with other types of resources as needed.
- Participates in professional activities, professional development, scholarly research, and service activities as outlined in Academic Policy statement 900417, Faculty Reappointment, Tenure, and Promotion.
- Assists with special projects and other duties as assigned by the Library Executive Director or the Director of Library Technical Services.
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
Human Resources Department
1831 University Ave, John W. Thomason Bldg. Suite 202
P.O. Box 2356
Huntsville, TX 77341-2356
SHSU Employment Office: [Register to View]
Employment Portal: shsu.peopleadmin.com