The School of Education at Salem State University is seeking applicants for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in Teaching Mathematics and Science (PK-8). The School of Education seeks faculty members who are dedicated to educational excellence, thrive in a student-centered teaching program, and have a strong interest in preparing a teaching workforce prepared to meet the many challenges of today's PK-12 environment, and to support multilingual learners in a variety of instructional contexts. We especially encourage candidates demonstrating a strong research focus and/or experience centering equity, justice, and inclusion in their pedagogical practices. Faculty members also serve the department through curriculum development, program evaluation, and policy development and evaluation.
Salem State University values and appreciates diversity in all its forms and endeavors to create a space that reflects the campus community population which it serves. Our students come to Salem State University from 38 states and 48 countries and reflect the demographics of the greater Boston community in which we live. We are passionate about providing an experience for them and our fellow staff and faculty, where everyone can feel supported while they explore, learn, and celebrate their identities, similarities, and differences. We welcome you to come celebrate with us and become a member of our community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Candidates are required to perform duties in accordance with the MSCA contract. Duties include teaching, advising, scholarship and contributions to continuously improve the department and university. The standard teaching load is 12 credit hours per semester. The position is subject to available funding.
- An earned doctorate degree (or ABD with doctorate conferred before the start of employment) in Mathematics, Science, Curriculum and Instruction, Elementary Education, or a related field, with a focus on teaching math or science
- Experience with teaching students from diverse backgrounds
- Experience teaching multilingual learners
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Experience using instructional technologies and teaching in multiple modalities (face-to-face, hybrid or partially online, fully online)
- Experience teaching multilingual learners at multiple stages of development (PreK, K-12, adult learners)
- Experience integrating culturally responsive teaching and/or culturally sustaining pedagogies into courses taught
- Fluency in a language other than English
- As an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Salem State University seeks to enrich the faculty/librarian ranks by actively encouraging candidates whose lived and scholarly experiences directly address issues regarding the health, welfare, and representation of Latinx populations in the United States. Candidates who meet this strongly desired qualification should present documented activities in Latinx-related teaching, scholarship/research, and service, including community-based endeavors in each of these three areas.
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach curriculum vitae, cover letter, and (unofficial) transcripts.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to a background check.
This position is eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time and additional applications will not be accepted.