Position Title Assistant Professor of Newton Gresham Library (Electronic Resources Librarian)
FLSA status Exempt
Hiring Salary Commensurate with education and experience.
College Newton Gresham Library
Department Newton Gresham Library
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the JobThis is a tenure-track faculty position with the expectations of librarianship, professional service and scholarship. The librarianship duties are management of electronic resources (with a focus on databases and platforms) through their life cycle. Areas of responsibility related to these resources include:
- license review
- access management and troubleshooting
- records maintenance
- product trials
- resource usage data collection and organization
- ERMS and Authentication Software management
- In collaboration with subject liaison librarians, investigate and compare vendor products. Serve as liaison between vendors, subject librarians, and technical services librarians regarding pricing, trials, licensing, activation, configuration, and evaluation of E-Resources. Promote awareness of new products. Set up and promote training sessions for librarians and staff.
- Serve as the technical contact for electronic resource subscription-based products. Work with vendors and publishers to register, activate, and customize access to databases and other electronic resources. Set up administrative functions in databases and online subscriptions.
- Manage library authentication software. Coordinate with IT@SHSU to configure, maintain, and update EZProxy for authenticating access to licenses resources and restricting access to authorized users. Troubleshoot access problems concerning proxy addresses.
- Manages the Electronic Resources Access Problem ticket system (currently SpringShare LibAnswers queue) which reports identified access problems. Coordinates troubleshooting access problems by organizing problem triage, collaborating with technical services librarians on resolution assignment, and establishing workflows. Assures timely communication regarding status of problem resolution and available alternate resources as well as monitor follow-through for completion of restoring access.
- Coordinate the administration and optimization of the EDS (EBSCO Discovery Service) discovery interface and the open-URL link resolver to improve the user search experience and facilitate linking to full-text sources and library holdings by configuring search options, maintaining the EZProxy config file, and updating OpenURL links & links to catalog and landing pages.
- Evaluate resources for disability accessibility, collect and interpret VPATs, and advocate with vendors to improve accessibility.
- Coordinate with Head of Acquisitions and Serials, Head of Cataloging and Metadata, and Web Services Librarian to provide timely information (title lists, package names, vendor information, renewal dates, title changes, title transfers, etc.) to facilitate optimized discovery of electronic resources’ content as well as maintenance of accurate holdings information in the bibliographic database, Publication Finder (journals), SpringShare A-Z database tool, and other access points.
- Monitor, implement, and test upgrades/enhancements to online resources in conjunction with the other Technical Services librarians. Periodically revise database setup configurations as needed.
- Maintain awareness of ongoing information provider platform updates, including scheduled maintenance outages, and notify librarians and staff, as appropriate.
- Prepare and present analytical reports on electronic resources’ content coverage and overlap, usage statistics, cost/benefit, usage rights, and license terms for library administration review, and to inform collection development decisions.
- Provide usage statistics to facilitate collection development stakeholders’ responsibilities for evaluation, renewal, and/or cancellation of library databases and other electronic resources subscriptions.
- Supervise Electronic Resources Library Assistant II assigned to download COUNTER reports and other publisher/vendor provided statistics. Coordinate with Technical Services librarians regarding other projects assigned to this staff member.
- Report statistical information on electronic resources subscriptions as needed for annual reports.
ERMS (Electronic Resource Management System): CORAL
- Administer\ERMS (CORAL). Maintain awareness of, implement, and test upgrades and enhancements to this online tool in conjunction with the other Technical Services librarians.
- Structure and revise periodically the organization of the ERMS to set up effective workflows for library resources.
- Gather, organize, and maintain current & historical information on the library’s electronic subscriptions, vendors, publishers, consortia, and other partners within the ERMS to centralize institutional memory and recordkeeping about library resources and licenses.
- Coordinate with Information Technology staff to configure, maintain, and update the ERMS production server & software version.
- Negotiate license terms with vendors and prepare license for signature by the library executive director. Demonstrate knowledge of copyright, Fair Use, importance of perpetuity and ILL rights, state laws, local needs, user access, and restriction clauses in negotiating favorable terms in license agreements for electronic resource subscriptions.
- Implement efficient workflow processes to capture licenses, and record and make available terms of contracts needed by other units such as ILL and Reserves.
- Provide license information needed by the Acquisitions unit to carry out responsibilities for renewal, invoicing, and payment for one-time purchases, standing orders, and subscription orders of electronic resources.
- Demonstrate knowledge of significant trends and issues in electronic resources. In collaboration with the other Technical Services librarians, propose and enable workflow to incorporate useful innovations and methodologies to improve the management of and accounting for electronic resources.
- Mentor, train, and supervise Electronic Resources Library Assistant II assigned to assist with electronic resources tasks. Coordinate with other Technical Services librarians for identification and prioritization of projects assigned to this staff member.
- Create, organize, and provide access to documentation for workflows, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain clear and responsive paths of communication with Director of Library Technical Services, Technical Services Librarians, bibliographers, and other library personnel.
- Participate in professional activities, professional development, scholarly research, publication, and service activities as outlines in Academic Policy Statement 900417, Faculty Reappointment, Tenure, and Promotion.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reports to: Director of Library Technical Services.
Educational Requirements for the Position
A degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited Master’s program.
Experience Required for the PositionPreferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with managing the life cycle of Electronic Resources at an academic library.
- Two (2) or more years of experience working at an academic library.
- Experience with administering systems/software related to library Electronic Resources management.
- Experience with library Electronic Resources license negotiation and management.
- Experience with Electronic Resources usage statistics harvesting and analysis.
- Working knowledge of usage statistics standards such as COUNTER, and interpretation of non-COUNTER statistics.
- Supervisor experience.
This is a tenure track, 12-month position.
Review of applicants will begin April 29, 2022.
References provided in the Reference section of the application will receive an automated email reference request at the time the application is submitted.
Full-Time Tenure Track
To apply please visit https://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/30964
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report