This job is archived
Department: Physical Therapy
Faculty Hire Number: 22-29
Rank: Assistant or Associate Professor
Effective Date of Appointment: August 24, 2022 (Subject to Budgetary Approval)
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications
CSUN’s Commitment to You:
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
For more information about the University, visit: http://www.csun.edu
About the College:
About the Department:
For more information about the Department of Physical Therapy, see: https://www.csun.edu/health-human-development/physical-therapy
The department of Physical Therapy at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is seeking a tenure-track faculty member at the rank of assistant or associate professor.
In addition to teaching, the position requires weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, and service to the department, college, and university. The successful candidate will be held to the standards and requirements of the college and department in which he/she/they is/are housed for recommending tenure and promotion.
As a Hispanic-serving Institution (HSI), inclusiveness and diversity are integral to CSUN’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As of Fall 2020, CSUN enrolls ~40,000 students, where 56% are Latinx, 20.8% are White, 9.3% are Asian-American, 4.8% are Black/African American, 0.1% are Native American, and 0.1% are Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. The successful candidate will help the Department achieve equitable outcomes for all students through teaching, student mentorship, scholarship, and service. CSUN is also committed to sustainability practices, and the Department of Physical Therapy in the college of Health and Human Development recognizes its impact on public health. The successful candidate will help the Department in educating and engaging in sustainability practices.
- A degree in Physical Therapy
- All candidates must have a conferred doctorate degree (academic and/or Doctoral of Physical Therapy (DPT)) by the time of appointment.
- Minimum of 3 years of full-time clinical experience in physical therapy practice in the United States is required
- If the candidate is not currently licensed as a physical therapist in California, they must state a clear plan and timeline for becoming licensed by the time of appointment.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching is required
- Faculty must meet licensure and other agency requirements for clinical instruction of students.
- A terminal academic doctorate degree (PhD, EdD, DSc, etc.) is desirable; candidates that are ABD or currently enrolled are also given additional consideration
- Applicants with more than 3 years of full-time clinical experience, evidence of clinical specialization/certification, and/or clinical expertise in target teaching areas will be given additional consideration
- University-level teaching experience and the number of years of teaching experience will be considered, with current experience teaching in a doctor of physical therapy program highly desirable
- Experience with online teaching and instructional technology is valued
- Additional consideration may be given to applicants whose teaching and/or clinical expertise aligns with the department curricular needs
- It is desirable that applicants demonstrate a record of scholarly accomplishments, evidence of a research agenda, and/or evidence of securing funding to support scholarly agenda and teaching
- Candidates will be asked to submit a statement outlining specific actions/steps taken that demonstrates support of DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) as effective engagement with a racially diverse student body, culturally responsive pedagogy
- Experience adopting inclusive approaches to teaching and mentoring are highly valued
- Additional consideration will be given for evidence of collaboration, leadership, and service activities.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate an ongoing positive record of effective academic teaching. Additional responsibilities include scholarly activities, student advisement, doctoral-level curriculum development, student doctoral project direction. Service to the department, college, university, and community will be expected, as well as active participation or leadership roles in the profession of physical therapy or relevant organizations. It is assumed that the successful candidate will conduct publishable research. The successful candidate will be required to teach in person on weekdays, and possibly evenings, weekends and/or online. The Department of Physical Therapy consists of nine full time faculty serving approximately 100 graduate students.
Screening of applications will begin October 29, 2021. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply:
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Applicants must submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, evidence of teaching quality, 3 letters of recommendation that address as many of the above qualifications as possible, and a statement with evidence documenting diversity equity and inclusivity experience/engagement. A list of three current professional referees who may be contacted are also required. Submit these items to the website noted in the section above. In later phases of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide verification of terminal degrees, licenses and certificates, and may be requested to interview in-person on campus.
All department core faculty may view applicant’s submissions and may be consulted in the decision process.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the United States.
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available on-line here. Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. To learn more, visit our Matadors Forward site: https://www.csun.edu/matadors-forward/faculty-and-staff-fall-guidelines
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Department of Physical Therapy at [Register to View] .