Associate/Full Professor and Manning Endowed Chair in Data Analytics – MIS
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Job no: 511492
Position type: Faculty Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Operations & Info Systems
Applications Open: Jan 07 2022
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Operations & Information Systems (OIS) Department at the Robert J. Manning School of Business, University of Massachusetts Lowell, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track Associate/Full Professor and Manning Endowed Chair position with a focus on teaching and research in business/data analytics and MIS. The preferred fields of specialization for the position include but are not limited to: business/data analytics, data science, AI and machine learning, big data, cloud computing, and IS economics (analytical or empirical). The position is expected to start September 1, 2022.
The Manning School of Business is growing at a fast pace and is continuously seeking ways to further enhance the faculty's high level of research productivity. The School is also constantly building and updating instructional program offerings at all degree levels. Faculty are expected to develop a strong record of scholarly work and publications in top-tier journals.
The Operations & Information Systems Department has 14 fulltime faculty and is currently building additional capacity to deepen its research output and increase program offerings in data analytics/MIS at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Faculty and Ph.D. students in the department maintain a high-level research record, with publications in top journals and collaborations worldwide. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to participate in (1) the growth and delivery of academic programs in the department at the undergraduate, Master’s, and Ph.D. levels, (2) the growth of our Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) program, Business Analytics Graduate Certificate program, MBA with Business Analytics option, in addition to the undergraduate Business Administration program with MIS concentration, and (3) ongoing initiatives undertaken in research, instruction and outreach. The successful candidate should have an interest in helping to grow and integrate business/data analytics across the business school curriculum.
The standard teaching load for research productive faculty is four courses per academic year. Additional teaching load reductions are possible through publications in top-tier journals and/or external funding. While classes taught on-load are primarily on-campus, additional teaching opportunities exist and are encouraged, both online and abroad. Evidence of externally funded research is also a significant plus. Faculty are encouraged to develop productive partnerships with other university units, industry, and colleagues from other institutions and countries. External funding for research projects is also encouraged.
Located 25 miles northwest of Boston, UMass Lowell has over 18,000 students and is one of the largest public universities in New England. The Manning School of Business has over 3,500 undergraduate and graduate students and is accredited by AACSB. The School strongly supports faculty to enhance their research productivity and build program offerings at all degree levels. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to join a growing department and participate actively in advancing research and educational programs.
UMass Lowell is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment for all of our faculty, staff and students. We are very proud that our community includes students and employees from various cultures, languages, colors, religions, national origins, abilities, genders, sexual orientations, gender expressions, age, life, and military service histories. Mutual respect for our varied backgrounds and experiences serves as the foundation of our excellence as an institution and is enhanced by our efforts to strengthen recruitment and retention for students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Completed doctorate in data analytics, MIS, or related fields from an AACSB-accredited business school
- Evidence of ongoing (and potential for) high-quality research and publication in the areas of data analytics - MIS
- A record of (and potential for) teaching effectiveness at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels in data analytics - MIS
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain an externally funded research program
- Industrial or corporate business experience
- Experience in supervising and advising graduate students
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in teaching online or web-enhanced courses
- Candidates must have an established, sustained record of teaching, service and excellent research demonstrated by a consistent record of high-quality publications in top-tier journals
- The successful candidate must have good team and collaborative skills and be actively engaged in service to the department, School, University, and business community
- Demonstration of leadership activities and the ability to mentor junior faculty is a requirement for senior tenure-track appointments
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close after an adequate number of qualified applications have been received.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please submit the following required documents with your application:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter: detailing research interests and accomplishments; teaching interests, experience and philosophy; and professional background
- Research Statement
- Sample of Scholarly Work/Publication: provide samples of recent publications (please upload all publications into one file)
- Teaching Statement/Philosophy
- Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness: (e.g., student course evaluations, department Chair reviews, teaching awards, student testimonials, etc.) (please upload all documents into one file)
- Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process. References will be contacted after the initial search committee interview for reference letters.
- You may apply at: https://careers.pageuppeople.com/822/lowell/en-us/job/511492/associatefull-professor-and-manning-endowed-chair-in-data-analytics-mis
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.