This job is archived
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
Supplemental Instruction Leader
Posting Number 00501
Provide Supplemental Instruction to enhance students’ academic success in the College of Science and Health (COSH). SI assist students with regularly scheduled, out-of-class review sessions for all students enrolled in a targeted course. SI will provide informal seminars in which students review notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools, and prepare for examinations. Students learn how to integrate course content with reasoning and study skills.
- Ascertain course requirements and maintain contact throughout the term with the course professor.
- Actively recruit participants for SI sessions.
- Be prepared and be on time for each SI session.
- Be familiar with campus resources available to students.
- Plan SI sessions using a wide variety of interactive learning strategies (without re-teaching, lecturing, or completing students’ assignments for them).
- Prepare handouts, informal quizzes, and other learning aids for SI sessions.
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times.
- Administrative responsibilities
- Collect attendance data survey for every session and turn it in weekly (Online)
- Follow all procedures and policies
- Meet with the course professor regularly
- Report immediately to the coordinator when critical issues arise
- Meeting with the course professor
- Time Commitment
- Allot 3 hours per week for professor follow-up with 2 meetings per week at a minimum
- Allot 3 hour preparation for SI instruction
- Allot 3 hours for SI instruction
- Allot 3 hours for office hours
- Attend one-half day paid training and orientation prior to the fall/spring semester.
- Attend and participate in SI Leader group meetings in order to report and discuss any issues, concerns, and study strategies with SI Coordinator and other SI Leaders.
- Have and maintain an overall GPA of 3.3 or above.
- Acquired an “A” for SI course advisement
- GENERAL/INTRO BIOLOGY
- GENERAL/INTRO CHEMISTRY
- ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
- PUBLIC HEALTH
- Be able to work flexible hours of 15-20 hours per week.
- Be a model student who understands the importance and application of effective study skills and strategies.
- Possess good organizational and time management skills. (SI Leaders are responsible for submitting attendance sheets, lesson plans, and timesheets in a timely manner.)
- Effective communication skills.
- Prior enrollment in the selected course highly desirable.
- Faculty recommendation (content competency is required).
- Capacity to work with students with diverse backgrounds.
- Commitment to work the time promised.
- Be able to attend a paid mandatory training prior to the fall/spring semester.
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience strongly desired
- Understanding different concepts of learning styles and different tactics for teaching and developing student comprehension.
- Masters student at CDU or Juniors/Senior undergraduate status at CDU
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3596
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer