Visiting Assistant Professor of Political Science
Sam Houston State University
Department: Dept of Political Science
Full-Time Non-Tenure Track
Open until filled: Yes
Requisition number: 202300069F
The Department of Political Science at Sam Houston State University invites applications for a full-time, non-tenure-track Visiting Assistant Professor beginning August 2023. The successful candidate will teach four courses per semester during the 2023-2024 academic year.
A Doctoral degree in political science, public administration, or public policy from an accredited institution of higher education. ABD candidates will be considered but they must have a PhD by the start date (August 2023).
The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability and desire to teach face-to-face and online courses in American politics, public administration, and/or public policy. Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate additional abilities and desire to teach face-to-face and online courses in at least one of the following specializations: US Congress, emergency management, research methods, or quantitative methods.
Other Requirements for the Position:
- Cover Letter that identifies their interests, qualifications, and experience for the position.
- Current CV that includes, if applicable, a summary of previous teaching experience and format of each course taught (i.e., face-to-face, online, hybrid).
- All graduate transcripts – unofficial transcripts will be accepted during the application process. However, the successful candidate must submit official transcripts documenting all post-secondary degrees.
- Three letters of recommendation from supervisors who are familiar with the applicant’s teaching abilities and who have worked with the applicant in the past two years.
- Recent student teaching evaluations covering the last two semesters of teaching, if available. Those without teaching evaluations, will need to upload a placeholder document in lieu of evaluations.
- Teaching statement, including a discussion of online pedagogy.
- If available, sample syllabi for relevant courses.
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
Human Resources Department
1831 University Ave, John W. Thomason Bldg. Suite 202
P.O. Box 2356
Huntsville, TX 77341-2356
SHSU Employment Office: [Register to View]
Email: Employment@SHSU.eduEmployment Portal: shsu.peopleadmin.com