Athletic Academic Advisor (2 Positions)
$4,610 – $6,556 • monthly
California State University, Northridge
Athletic Academic Advisor (2 Positions)
Job no: 525650
Work type: Staff
Categories: Unit 4 - APC - Academic Professionals of California, Administrative, Athletics, Compliance/Legal, Probationary, Full Time, Education Support Professionals, Marketing/Communications, Student Services, Counselor (Non-instructional Faculty), Telecommute eligible (work onsite as scheduled and/or as requested and telecommute as scheduled)
CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision, the Athletic Academic Advisor works with multiple assigned sports teams across a diverse population of student-athletes in an equity-minded atmosphere, and provides academic advisement, coordination, academic support, continuation eligibility, and other related responsibilities. The incumbent assists both incoming and continuing student-athletes on course selection, graduation planning, referrals to campus resources, campus policies, and academic progress.
- Provides and coordinates academic support through specialist meetings, referrals, assigning academic support for teams, weekly reporting, student-athlete follow-up and check-ins.
- Conducts NCAA continuing eligibility evaluations, participates in recruitment meetings and eligibility projections, and provides NCAA academic eligibility rules and transfer evaluations advising services.
- Collaborates with faculty, staff, coaches, and athletic administration, updates student files, keeps detailed records, conducts team meetings, and tracks student-athlete grade progress.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://bit.ly/3K869Gm
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a job-related field.
- Equivalent to two (2) years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field.
- A Master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the professional experience.
- Experience working with intercollegiate student athletes preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Working knowledge of: the practices, procedures and activities of the program to which assigned; the methods and problems of organizational and program management; research and interview techniques; and the principles of individual and group behavior.
- Knowledge of: Division I NCAA rules and regulations; and athletic academic advising best practices.
- Ability and specialized skills to: interpret and apply program rules and regulations; use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements; obtain factual and interpretative information through interviews; reason logically; collect, compile, analyze and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data; advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required; recognize multicultural, multi-sexed and multi-aged value systems and work accordingly.
- Ability and specialized skills to: establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, CSU administrators, student organizations, private and public agencies and others in committee work, and student advising and community contacts; and ability to rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions and programs of the campus to which assigned. Demonstrated ability to make decisions and carry through actions having implications with regard to other program or service areas Services Office.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
- The university offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, retirement & savings, tuition waiver and more.
- Classification/grade: 3082 / SSP II / 1
- The anticipated HIRING RATE is $4610 per month. The salary range for this classification is: $4610 - $6556 per month.
- HOURS: Full Time; 40 hours per week; Monday through Friday; may include evenings and weekends.
- REG: This is a Regular position with a one-year probationary period.
- The position is currently hybrid (4 days in office, 1 days remote); however, this is subject to change based on student and/or operational needs.
- Applications received through April 21, 2023, will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
- This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
- Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
- CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. To learn more visit our Matadors Forward site: https://www.csun.edu/matadors-forward/faculty-and-staff-fall-guidelines
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at [Register to View] .
Advertised: Apr 10, 2023 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled
To apply: https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/nr/en-us/job/525650/athletic-academic-advisor-2-positions
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency