Library Assistant II -Stack Maintenance Supervisor
Sam Houston State University
Department: Newton Gresham Library
Open until filled: Yes
Educational and Experience Requirement:
Associate degree or sixty college hours required. Library experience and/or supervisory experience would be desirable. Additional experience may be considered in lieu of education.
Nature & Purpose of Position:
The Stacks Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for managing student assistants and their work in the library stacks/shelving. The Stacks Maintenance Supervisor will always work until closing. During the Spring and Fall semesters, this position works from 3:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m., Sunday-Thursday. During the interim between semesters, hours will vary. In addition, the Stacks Maintenance Supervisor is on a rotation schedule with other Access Service staff and is required to work assigned Saturdays.
- Train student assistants in Stacks Maintenance duties
- Supervise student assistants as they perform required tasks in Stacks
- Serve as back-up to student assistants as needed in Stacks
- In collaboration with the Access Services Manager, helps to plan, execute, and evaluate Stacks projects.
- Implement projects related to weeding library collection, as assigned by the Access Services Manager in collaboration with Technical Services.
- Determine and recommend solutions to the Access Services Manager.
- Communicate consistently via face-to-face, email, and Microsoft Teams channels to keep Access Services Manager and colleagues apprised of issues, project status, student worker performance, and so forth.
- If needed, instruct and train students to accomplish projects.
- Shift, sort, shelve, shelf-read, and maintain when needed.
- Consistently enforce all Library and University policies for employees and patrons.
- Frequently patrol the 3rd and 4th floors.
- Participate in staffing the Service Desk, which includes, but not limited to:
- Provide Circulation and Reserves services at the Service Desk
- Answer patron or faculty inquiries of a complex nature by telephone, email, or in person, including researching patron accounts and interpreting policy to patrons.
- Handle patron cash and credit payments as needed.
- Supervise student assistants: prioritizing, delegating, and monitoring work.
- Assist in the training of student assistants.
- Recommend revisions to policy and procedures as needed.
- With all other Access Services staff, is responsible for building security.
- Assist the Night Circulation Supervisor with clearing and closing the building.
- In rotation with all other Access Services staff, helps to interview and hire student assistants as needed.
- Carry out other projects assigned by the Access Services Manager.
- Performs other task as required.
Primary computer software used on the job:
- Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word, Excel, and Teams
- Sirsi Workflows (integrated library system)
- TouchNet computer point-of-sale (POS) software
Must be able to lift and carry boxes; load and push book trucks; and shelve books.
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
Human Resources Department
1831 University Ave, John W. Thomason Bldg. Suite 202
P.O. Box 2356
Huntsville, TX 77341-2356
SHSU Employment Office: [Register to View]
Employment Portal: shsu.peopleadmin.com