Associate Director, Design and Construction Services
California State University, Long Beach
Associate Director, Design and Construction Services
Job No: 525450
Work Type: Management (MPP)
Location: Long Beach
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time
Under general direction of the Director, Design & Construction Services (DD&CS) the Associate Director, Design and Construction Services (ADD&CS) assists the DD&CS in managing the Design and Construction Department while providing direct leadership for all construction projects and construction management occurring within Design and Construction services Assist the DDC&S with overall strategic planning, budget management and process development for department wide initiatives.
- Directly manage the staff and establish priorities for all department's construction management services, and design and engineering/architecture functions for Major Capital Projects. Work in conjunction with staff to implement and execute processes to ensure adherence to general industry standard, SUAM, CSU and audit guidelines.
- Manage the professional design consultants and construction project managers on the development of programs, budgets, plans, specifications, bid and award for successful implementation of Major and Minor Capital projects.
- Recommends initiatives and changes to improve quality and services in support of the strategic vision for the Design and Construction Department. Works with other units/departments/divisions/colleges to coordinate workflow and activities to insure a seamless operation. Identifies and determines cause of problems; develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices; initiates and implements plans to solve problems.
- Thorough understanding and working knowledge of the laws, ordinances, and other regulations applicable to building, construction, maintenance, and repair including building codes for the state of California, fire codes, ADA regulations, and industry standards.
- Ability to analyze and resolve a wide range of complex problems and be able to be multi-task as related to construction development.
- Knowledge of the principles, challenges, and requirements of public work contracts, and the ability to successfully manage the process.
- Ability to work with D&CS staff planning, organizing, and supervising the work of professional and administrative staff members engaged in capital planning, design, and construction.
- Ability to represent the Director at meetings and conferences involving campus, University, state, and federal levels of authority, in matters related to architectural requirements and fiscal issues.
- Knowledge of the principles and requirements for sustainability, and to have a driving desire to create high performance sustainable buildings.
- Leadership and management skills to lead project committees and manage large and complex professional teams.
- Working knowledge of CAD/Revit/BIM applications and their use in a design and construction environment.
- Understanding of construction concepts and their relationship to building costs.
- Ability to represent the department in a professional manner with the Chancellor's Office and external agencies to advocate the Campus' physical needs and design and construction requirements.
- Ability to read and accurately interpret blueprints and specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with executive management and a wide range of internal/external constituents within a shared governance environment.
- Proficiency in PC-compatible software programs, such as Word, Excel, Access, Adobe, Bluebeam, and Plan Grid.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
- bachelor's degree in engineering, architecture, construction management or ten years of progressively responsible full time work experience in a related field required. Equivalent experience (or combination of education and experience) in project management, architecture, engineering, or construction management will be considered as a substitution for a degree on a year for year basis.
- Ten (10) years of related experience in design and construction required.
- At least ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional experience in higher education physical, capital, and, including the development of program scope, design and budgeting of public works projects, preparation of bid documents and specifications, contract administration, and fiscal management preferred.
- At least ten (10) years supervisory experience required, higher education preferred.
Licenses / Certificates
- CASp certification preferred.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED AP) Certificate preferred.
- A valid driver's license is required for this position. Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
Design and Construction Services
Salary Range: $9,606 - $14,409 per month
Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
This is a management level position with an attractive benefits package, which includes a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month, and excellent choice of medical, dental, and vision insurance, long term disability coverage, life insurance, educational fee waiver, and retirement benefits.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY
It is important that all sections of the on-line application are filled out completely and accurately. Please include all relevant education and experience. Your application will be used to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for this position
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Due to the nature of this position, current CSULB employees are subject to a criminal record check unless they have successfully completed a criminal background check through CSULB within the past 12 months.
CSULB is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1B Visas).
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to COVID19-Staff-Info@csulb.edu.
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
To view the University's Annual Campus Crime Report go to: http://daf.csulb.edu/offices/ppfm/police/statistics/index.html. Copies of the report are available upon request. To request a copy, contact the University Police Department at [Register to View] .
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position will include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
Application Closes: Mar 19, 2023 (11:55 PM)
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/525450/associate-director-design-and-construction-services
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-23fcff19665d58489cb2c6313504fbe5