Distance Education Technician - Hrly/Int
California State University, Long Beach
Distance Education Technician - Hrly/Int
Job No: 524534
Work Type: Staff
Location: Long Beach
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Temporary, Time Varies, Information Systems & Technology
To provide specialized technical support to the MSW Distance Education Program offered by the School of Social Work, currently at two off-campus locations (Santa Rosa Junior College-Petaluma Campus and Ventura College). To manage the operation, coordination, and execution of instructional related video conferences through video conferencing technology such as Zoom Video Communications.
- During each teleconference, provide technological support to faculty. This involves (a) testing connections late in the week prior to broadcast days; (b) testing connections 30 minutes before the start of each class and remaining in the classroom through the remainder of the instructional day; (d) managing content sharing (i.e., transitioning between screens showing faculty, PowerPower slides, handouts, DVDs, etc.); and (e) monitoring each teleconference in real time using streaming video to ensure that both near-end and far-end participants have quality input and reception.
- Set teleconference schedules with off-campus participants to include test and teaching days, send emails to all participants, and upload special content as needed for each particular faculty member or local Site Coordinator.
- Establish and ensure reliable call connectivity with the off-campus participants. This involves not only the primary teleconference site but also a back-up teleconference location, so that faculty and students will not be inconvenienced by technical difficulties.
- Perform systems testing and checks with external video-teleconferencing communication (VTC) bridging entities and with site IT techs at both Santa Rosa JC and Ventura College.
- Provide training and assistance to faculty on how to maximize the benefits of teleconferencing systems and other distance education technology in instructional efforts. This is not limited to same-day teleconference assistance but will include training sessions on a variety of electronic media, flash-, cloud-, and other web-based media as well as interactive learning tools.
- Act as the centralized VTC network maintenance focal point, coordinating with appropriate in-house resources and vendors for maintenance support.
- Trouble-shoot School of Social Work audio/visual systems.
- Maintain understanding of current and new educationally related technology, with ongoing training as appropriate.
- Track, document, and report on VTC utilization. Provide analysis of utilization trends.
- Provide support, as needed, for desktop-based video conferencing systems.
- Ensure that hardware is safely set up for video-enabled meetings (e.g., camera placement, cabling, tripping hazards).
- Ensure that technology is compatible with any Bob Murphy Access Center (BMAC) accommodations for students.
Ability to interact effectively with technicians at on-campus and off-campus sites. Ability to problem-solve technological issues. Experience in providing technological support to faculty teaching via video conferencing systems desired. Experience in design and implementation of instructional related VTC systems desired. Knowledge about higher education, distance education programs, technology utilized for virtual meetings/classes, and how to develop a team virtually. Demonstrated competence in collaborative work, communication strategies, team building, and service.
Strong commitment to social work education. Ability to communicate with ethnically and culturally diverse population cohorts. Knowledge of ways to enhance technological integration and connections between people engaging from remote locations. Demonstrated competence in inclusive practices for all participants in virtual meetings, particularly during hybrid meetings where some are gathered in person and some are attending virtually. Calm demeanor and ability to respond to urgent situations with a measured approach that includes instead of excludes colleagues, students, and other key stakeholders.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
Equivalent to a bachelor's degree in a related field and six (6) months of related professional or technical experience required. Experience with interactive audio-video communication technology hardware and software (e.g., video conferencing systems utilizing proprietary technology) preferred. Two (2) years' experience in higher education, education technology, or technology field preferred.
The targeted salary may be set as high as $25.00 per hour based on experience. The salary range for this classification is $19.26 to $34.45 per hour.
Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, qualifications, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
Hourly/intermittent on call temporary position for one year with no permanent status granted. Temporary assignments may expire prior to the ending date.
Media Production Specialist I
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY
It is important that all sections of the on-line application are filled out completely and accurately. Please include all relevant education and experience. Your application will be used to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for this position
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
CSULB is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1B Visas).
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to COVID19-Staff-Info@csulb.edu.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
To view the University's Annual Campus Crime Report go to: http://daf.csulb.edu/offices/ppfm/police/statistics/index.html. Copies of the report are available upon request. To request a copy, contact the University Police Department at [Register to View] .
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Application Closes: Feb 21, 2023 (11:55 PM)
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/524534/distance-education-technician-hrlyint
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-cd07c04004d6ca4b905e2394c8e867a7