Economics Associate (Part-time) Instructor Pool 2022 - 2023
For full details and to apply, go to https://jobs.miracosta.edu/postings/3137
Type of Assignment:
Assignment Category: Temporary Assignment
The college is accepting applications to build a pool of instructors for possible future part-time assignments at all locations. The department chairperson or designee will review applications as vacancies become available.
Instructors may be assigned to any campus or authorized facility. Assignments may include days, evenings, or weekends.
Applications are valid through June 30, 2023, at which time they will expire. A new posting for this pool will be posted on July 1, 2023, and those still interested will need to reapply at that time.
IMPORTANT: MiraCosta College requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to promote a safe and healthful workplace for employees and to promote the health and safety of our campus community. Unvaccinated employees are at greater risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 within the workplace and to the college community that depends on college programs and services. As of August 23, 2021, all employees must submit proof of vaccination or request and receive approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. For more information, please visit https://www.miracosta.edu/covid/covid-vaccination-requirements.html.
Compensation: Compensation is based on education. To view the current Associate (part-time) Faculty Salary Schedule, please select “Salary Schedules” to the left on the navigation bar.
Employees must make arrangements for the direct deposit of paychecks into the financial institution of their choice, via electronic fund transfer.
The transcripts you are attaching to provide evidence that you meet the minimum qualifications below must state the degree title, major, and date awarded.
Master’s degree in economics.
OR bachelor’s degree in economics AND master’s degree in business, business administration, business management, business education, finance or political science.
OR a valid appropriate California Community College Credential in the discipline area.
OR the equivalent*.
AND have sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
*Applicants wishing to claim equivalence to the minimum qualifications should follow the instructions and guidelines at
Under direction, plan, organize and teach assigned courses in an instructional field or discipline in accordance with approved course outlines, education code requirements and faculty contract provisions; provide feedback and guidance to students and evaluate student performance; and perform related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
1. Plan, organize and develop instructional materials including presentations, lectures, demonstrations, homework assignments, laboratory exercises and project assignments consistent with approved course outlines; teach courses utilizing sound pedagogical methods and instructional strategies most appropriate to communicating subject matter to students to meet learning objectives; modify, as necessary, instructional methods to meet diverse student needs; participate in the development, assessment, and evaluation of student learning outcomes (SLOs); use available instructional technologies such as the internet, online learning and interactive technologies to enrich and facilitate student learning; participate in the review and selection of textbooks and other student materials for assigned courses.
2. Provide prompt feedback on student assignments; evaluate student performance fairly and consistently; assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with district standards, policies and procedures; submit and post grades and submit other records following appropriate procedures by established deadlines.
3. Be available to students by telephone, email, course learning management system, or personal conference to answer questions and provide encouragement and assistance in completing course assignments and projects; meet scheduled meeting and office hours as established for assigned courses; maintain a flexible schedule to meet student needs; refer students to other faculty or campus resources to resolve problems/issues beyond the purview of faculty.
4. Maintain accurate and complete course records as required by law, regulations and district policies and procedures; record student attendance and other data using course management software; submit attendance and other records by required deadlines.
5. Maintain the confidentiality of student information.
6. Contribute to maintaining a collegial environment and collaborate with department chairs and other faculty to participate in developing policies, standards, curricula changes and other matters; demonstrate willingness to substitute for other faculty when needed to meet college or student needs.
7. Play an active role in campus life; attend faculty and staff meetings; participate in activities that contribute to the educational goals of the college and its constituents; serve on campus committees or task forces.
8. Meet professional responsibilities in accordance with contractual obligations.
1. Stay current in academic or program discipline, including maintaining licensure, certification or continuing education requirements where appropriate.
2. May make arrangements for and lead field trips and attendance at other events associated with course of study.
3. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Theory, concepts, principles, techniques and conventions applicable to assigned academic disciplines and courses at an advanced level.
2. Teaching and instructional techniques and strategies applicable to student learning at varying levels of subject matter and language proficiency.
3. Trends, developments and uses of educational technologies including online learning and course management systems such as Blackboard.
4. State education code, Title 5 and other applicable laws related to curriculum requirements and approval and reporting processes.
5. Instructional and tutorial techniques and methods applicable to a diverse range of students including those with physical, emotional and learning disabilities.
6. District organization, operations, policies and objectives, and resources available to support student success.
7. Safety policies and safe work practices applicable to the work.
1. Clearly convey, interpret and explain theories, principles and relevant content of assigned academic disciplines to a diverse student population.
2. Employ available instructional technologies in ways that maximize student learning.
3. Encourage the development of critical thinking, problem-solving and communication skills through the use of appropriate teaching strategies and student assignments.
4. Evaluate student performance fairly and consistently and return student work promptly to promote student progress.
5. Examine the effectiveness of teaching methodologies being used, in terms of student learning outcome measures, and modify as appropriate to meet diverse student needs.
6. Maintain accurate records of student progress and submit grade and attendance records according to established deadlines.
7. Maintain the confidentiality of student information.
8. Meet all teaching and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times, while keeping a flexible schedule to facilitate student access and learning.
9. Stay abreast of current scholarship and other developments in assigned academic fields through professional development activities.
10. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
11. Operate a computer and standard business software.
12. Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and disability issues.
13. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
The physical efforts described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily sedentary with intermittent standing, walking, bending and stooping; occasional light lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds; ability to work at a computer, including repetitive use of a computer keyboard, mouse and other control devices; ability to travel to a variety of locations on and off campus as needed to conduct district business.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships involving interactions and communications personally, by phone and in writing with a variety of individuals and/or groups from diverse backgrounds on a regular, ongoing basis; ability to work effectively under pressure on a variety of tasks concurrently while meeting established deadlines and changing priorities.
Primarily classroom and business office environments; subject to frequent public contact and interruption; intermittent exposure to individuals acting in a disagreeable fashion; may work at any district location or authorized facility with occasional evenings and/or weekends on an as-needed basis. Occasional local travel may be requested.
Posting Number: AF21/22109P
Human Resources Contact Information: email@example.com or [Register to View]
Job Close Date: 6/30/2023
Open Until Filled:
First Screening Date:
About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California's 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at https://www.miracosta.edu/office-of-the-president/board-of-trustees/_docs/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion.pdf
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-67951d3b1f5c4f4784954e978ddb1164