- M.A. in Design History/Theory or related field
- Demonstrated record of research, scholarly and/or creative activities
- Demonstrated potential to teach Design History and Theory at the college level
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population
- Ph.D. in Design History/Theory or related field. Degree at the time of application, or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2023.
- Experience teaching both lower and upper-division undergraduate Design History and Theory courses and seminars
- At least one year of full-time teaching experience (or the equivalent in part-time positions) at the college level
- Demonstrated success in mentoring and advising students
- Experience teaching graduate students
- Demonstrated knowledge of history, theory and criticism in one or more design areas (such as interior design, architecture, industrial design, environmental design, service design, graphic design, communication design, experience design, or a related field)
- Experience in curriculum development for undergraduate and graduate programs
- Record of academic service
- Experience of successfully working with populations demographically and socioeconomically similar to the CSULB student body
California State University, Long Beach is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). The Department of Design offers degrees in Design, Interior Design, Industrial Design, and Human Experience Design Interactions.
- Teach lower and upper division design history courses, including History and Theory of Architecture, History and Theory of Design, History of Furniture and Decorative Arts, Design in Contemporary Society, History and Theory of Sustainability in Design, and Form and Figures; The Mathematics of Design; [Mode of instruction may include in-person, hybrid, online, and/or any combination thereof.]
- Contribute to the development of curriculum in Design History and Design Theory
- Mentor and advise students
- Maintain and produce peer-reviewed research, scholarly and creative activities at the national/international level
- Participate in service to the department, college, university, and community
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University's strong commitment to the academic success of all our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions. CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Information on the excellent benefits package available to CSULB faculty is located here:
How to Apply - Required Documentation:
- An Equity and Diversity Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (maximum two pages, single-spaced). For further information and guidelines, please visit: http://www.csulb.edu/EquityDiversityStatement
- Letter of application addressing the required and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for three references (to be contacted for confidential letters of recommendation should you reach the finalist stage)
- Copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Research Interests Statement
- Portfolio of peer reviewed research, publications, and/or creative work, including at least one writing sample (maximum 20 pages)
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g. summary of course evaluations, syllabi, and examples of student work), if applicable (maximum 20 pages)
- Finalists should be prepared to submit an official transcript (e-transcript preferred, if available)
How to Apply: Click Apply Now icon to complete the CSULB online application
Requests for information should be addressed to:
Tom Tredway, Search Committee Chair
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Design
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-5401
(562) 985 -5089 (messages only) or E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at [Register to View] 53768273%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=x%2FssSWPU79Zsua9mscL47uEVKOTRjZoGoZEI79urdVU%3D&reserved=0">https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race or ethnicity (including color or ancestry), nationality, religion or religious creed, gender (or sex), gender identity (including transgender), gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, genetic information, age, veteran or military status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/520489/assistantassociate-professor-of-design
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-ed372988b5519c49b855395c00a3fe88