This position acts as the primary contact for students and their families, supporting all operations within the Student Navigation Center (SNC), one stop office. Staff are responsible for educating, coaching, and mentoring contacts to the SNC on the different policies and procedures of the office and university. Areas under the SNC are financial aid, student accounts, and the registrar, however general knowledge of other offices and areas of the university are essential to help students. Collaboration, organization, empathy, and independent autonomous decision-making are a must as this position is a liaison to other offices across campus on behalf of students. This role requires staff to put students at the front of their decision-making process and advocate on their behalf when they can. Staff resolve complex issues and situations in a timely manner. When required, staff may also need to follow up with students based on their situation and other offices involved. Staff will be responsible for reviewing office processes, policies, and procedures with an eye towards continuous improvement. Staff will advocate for changes to said processes, policies, and procedures with the goal of improving the student experience for all.
Salem State University values, celebrates and appreciates diversity in all its forms and endeavors to create a space that reflects the campus community population which it serves. Our students come to Salem State University from 38 states and 48 countries and reflect the demographics of the greater Boston community in which we live. We are passionate about providing an experience for them and our fellow staff and faculty, where everyone can feel supported while they explore, learn, and celebrate their identities, similarities, and differences. We welcome you to come celebrate with us and become a member of our community.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three years of customer service experience. Preferably in a higher education environment, such as the office of the registrar, bursar, financial aid, or other areas
- Minimum two years of experience working with little or no supervision and demonstrated use of independent and sound judgment in keeping with established university policies and procedures
- Knowledge of data processing techniques and the application of such techniques to record keeping
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously to resolve complex issues through the analysis analyzing of data and drawing conclusions to make appropriate recommendations
- Experience in understanding, explaining and applying laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience in exercising discretion and handling confidential information
- Bi- or Multi-lingual, Spanish preferred
- Master’s degree
- Advanced knowledge of PeopleSoft student administration system
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5-10 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
This position is not eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time and additional applications will not be accepted.