This job is archived
(Archived) Health Services Assistant (2022)
Health Services Assistant (2022)
For full details and to apply, go to https://jobs.miracosta.edu/postings/3230
Type of Assignment: Full Time
Assignment Category: Regular Position
One regular position, typically 40 hours per week, equivalent to 10 months spread over 12 months per year, primarily working when classes are in session in fall, spring, and summer, on the Oceanside campus. The work schedule will normally be Monday through Thursday, 8:30 am - 7:00 pm (four 10-hour days). The person selected for this position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.
MiraCosta College believes that flexible work enables employees to achieve a more successful balance between work responsibilities and family life. The District offers the opportunity to telework (remote work) for certain positions, depending on the operational needs of the District and the provisions of the telework policy. Probationary and temporary employees are not eligible to telework unless approved by the appropriate vice president. No employee is guaranteed the right to telework. No employee shall be authorized to telework 100% of the time; regular, on-campus presence is expected for all District employees on a weekly basis.
IMPORTANT: MiraCosta College requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to promote a safe and healthful workplace for employees and to promote the health and safety of our campus community. Unvaccinated employees are at greater risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 within the workplace and to the college community that depends on college programs and services. As of August 23, 2021, all employees must submit proof of vaccination or request and receive approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. For more information, please visit https://www.miracosta.edu/covid/covid-vaccination-requirements.html.
Salary Range: 19
Compensation: Starting at $29.85 per hour / $51,736.67 per year (range 19, step 1), with annual salary step increases up to step 5. In addition, after five years of district service, employees earn a longevity stipend that increases over time.
May be entitled to a shift differential, depending on the work schedule.
Employees must make arrangements for the direct deposit of paychecks into the financial institution of their choice, via electronic fund transfer.
MiraCosta College offers an array of benefits to eligible employees.
- The district pays 100% of the cost of medical, dental and vision insurance for eligible employees and dependents
- $100,000 life insurance policy
- Up to $250 of benefit credits per month to help pay for a variety of voluntary benefit options, such as supplemental life insurance, disability coverage, and health care/dependent care flexible spending account (FSA)
- Vacation, sick leave, and up to 18 paid holidays
- State pension system retirement benefits (CalPERS)
- Free and confidential employee assistance program
- Wellness Program
- Participation in the District’s Early Retirement Program
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Tuition fee reimbursement
- Childcare Facility (Oceanside Campus)
Position Term in Months: $Term
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number by 11:59 PM on the closing date:
1. Application on which you list all relevant experience.
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and experience.
3. A cover letter addressed to the “Screening and Interview Committee” specifically describing how your experience aligns with the “Essential Duties & Responsibilites” and “Other Duties”.
4. CPR certification (required).
The screening and interview committee will review application materials for up to three to four weeks following the closing/first screening date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected for interview will be notified by e-mail once interview candidates have been scheduled.
Offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) proof of being fully vaccinated* for COVID-19 or requesting and receiving approval for a medical or religious exemption; 2) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense; 3) submission of a current tuberculosis test clearance; 4) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; 5) fingerprint clearance; and 6) approval by the Board of Trustees.
*Individuals are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks or more after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (e.g. Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or two weeks or more after they have received a single-dose vaccine (e.g., Johnson and Johnson [J&J/Janssen).
Retired STRS members are not eligible for this position.
Under general supervision, perform front counter specialized clerical duties associated with Health Services; provide administrative/organizational support for the Health Services department and programs; and perform related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
1. Act as initial Health Services contact person with students, faculty, parents, district staff or the public, either in person, over the telephone or online; receive and screen visitors and resolve problems; provide information and referrals and/or schedule with an appropriate staff member.
2. Order medical and office supplies; prepare and process purchase requisitions; schedule equipment maintenance and repair.
3. Maintain information on medical providers and outside agencies; review accounts and follow up on discrepancies; implement established procedures to ensure payments are made in a timely manner.
4. Process student insurance/international student insurance claims; utilize insurance policies and procedures in order to distill, interpret and explain technical insurance information to students; obtain and validate information from students to provide proper referrals for treatment; analyze, investigate and troubleshoot issues related to insurance claims; work with risk management staff, liability carriers, patient providers and billing agencies to resolve billing issues on the student’s behalf.
5. Provide scheduling support for the Marriage Family Therapist Intern program and provide feedback from intern interactions to MFT Supervisor; triage students into the program; provide in-service training sessions and administrative support to interns.
6. Perform administrative support duties for an assigned supervisor and other medical office staff; arrange and schedule meetings and conferences; establish and maintain filing systems; review and proof documents, records and forms for accuracy, completeness and conformance to applicable rules and regulations; coordinate duplication and distribution of various materials; open and distribute mail; revise and disseminate schedules, reports, records and other information to ensure effective coordination of department or program functions.
1. Compose, prepare and/or type a variety of correspondence, agendas, memoranda, and reports, including material of a confidential nature; record and transcribe minutes from meetings.
2. Maintain budget balances; monitor fund expenditures; make reservations and travel arrangements; process travel and expense forms; collect and compile statistical and financial data; prepare personnel requisitions.
3. Provide administrative support to health promotion events; prepare advertising, determine advertising location and reserve location sites; respond to questions and perform signups; follow up with outside participating agencies as needed.
4. Train and provide work direction and guidance to student workers, temporary staff and others as assigned.
5. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Organization, policies and procedures of the healthcare environment; medical terminology and healthcare processes.
2. Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
3. Written and oral communication skills including correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
4. Applicable sections of the California Education Code, insurance rules and regulations, and other applicable laws and regulations.
5. First aid, CPR and AED.
6. Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
7. Safety policies and safe work practices applicable to the work of Health Services.
1. Learn, interpret and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures and apply them in a variety of procedural situations.
2. Triage students and staff in order to refer to appropriate personnel or outside agencies depending on presenting issues or conditions.
3. Multi-task in a high-traffic office; plan and organize work independently; meet schedules and timelines.
4. Operate a computer and standard business software.
5. Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
6. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
7. Train and provide work direction to others.
8. Work confidentially with discretion.
9. Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
10. Determine appropriate means for advertising and recruiting program participants.
11. Resolve problems creatively by utilizing on and off-campus resources.
12. Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and disability issues
13. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
Education & Experience:
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
Graduation from high school and at least one year of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
NOTE: For work experience, one “year” is defined as equivalent to 40 hours per week for 12 months, or at least 2,080 hours.
Licenses & Other Requirements:
A valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under the district’s vehicle insurance program.
CPR certification is required.
The physical efforts described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily sedentary with intermittent standing, walking, bending and stooping; occasional light lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds; ability to travel to a variety of locations on and off campus as needed to conduct district business.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships involving interactions and communications personally, by phone and in writing with a variety of individuals and/or groups from diverse backgrounds on a regular, ongoing basis; ability to work effectively under pressure on a variety of tasks concurrently while meeting established deadlines and changing priorities.
Primarily business office environment; frequent exposure to hazardous materials such as blood-borne pathogens, bacteria, viruses, solvents and other toxic chemicals and substances that require the use of personal protection equipment including gloves or clothing; subject to frequent public contact and interruption; intermittent exposure to individuals acting in a disagreeable fashion; may work at any district location or authorized facility with occasional evenings and/or weekends on an as-needed basis. Occasional local travel may be requested.
Posting Number: S_22/23_012_P
Human Resources Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or [Register to View]
Job Close Date: 9/8/2022
Open Until Filled:
First Screening Date:
About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California's 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at https://www.miracosta.edu/office-of-the-president/board-of-trustees/_docs/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion.pdf
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency